ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus for the busy man

Registered Member

Default Discus for the busy man

Hey everyone,

I been doing a year or so of research, I been debating between discus and saltwater. I also love the idea of African cichlids but don't like the idea of having to over stock a tank to curve agression. I been kicking around the idea of a 120 gallon with fluval 6 and 5 discus. Going no substrate and maybe a piece of fake drift wood and a couple of plants. Im trying to see if I can get this to one water change a week I work a 9-5 and kids are in sports, being realistic i know i won't get home every other day with the urge to do a water change every other day. I don't mind the surprise maintenance or unexpected situation, but wanted to see if one water change a week is feasible.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: Discus for the busy man

I'm in a similar situation, different predicate. I am disabled so am looking hard at minimizing the physical requirements of frequent water changes. My solution is/will be using an Apex System to auto change the water, sourced from 2 45 gallon storage tanks located in the laundry room and piped via pvc through the basement to just under 4 tanks (2 120 displays, 1 65 breeder/quarantine/grow out, and 1 45 gal medication/emergency tank). Drainage will be parallel to the feeds with pvc tied into the drain. All tanks located in family room or kitchen. The 3 largest with sumps.

The apex system can pump about 4 gallons/hour. Each tank will have its own pump unit. I plan on changing about 20%/day and adjust stocking levels on the basis of what this can support. Alternately, if my water stabilizes within 12 hours of aging I can up the rate to ~ 40%/day. The initial cost and installation is certainly a pain but should be fairly automatic once up and running, with the only required task being filling the storage tanks every day to twice a day, and periodically rinsing the mechanical filtration in the first sump chamber. You can also make tank filling automatic, but since manually adding a dechlorinator is required, minimal juice for the squeeze.

I assume you are thinking about adults rather than growing out juveniles which almost all agree need large daily water changes to achieve full adult growth.

Also, given that doubling times for potentially pathogenic bacteria is measured in hours to 1-2 days, weekly water changes ensure a high bacterial load in the water column. My fix for that will be uv sterilization, you may want to consider as discus come from an acidic low bacterial count environment.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

I think with your larger tank size, a weekly water change on a tank of sub-adult size discus would be feasible. Stick to the minimum number of five discus and get the larger size, at least 4"+, and you should do fine. Even better would be 5-6 inch adults Do a complete 100% w/c during that single change. Also, do you use a python? Those hoses make w/c's much easier.

With 4.5 or larger you should be fine with a weekly huge WC. I it can't be a fancy planted tank with deep substrate. And you need to use good stable aged water, not water straight from the tap. Good luck! I hope you do it and post pics.
    Mama Bear

Pretty much what everyone else said. Just wanted to emphasize one thing. Think through how you will do the water changes so that it is simple. The more thought you put into how you will do the water changes, the easier it will be. Even if you don't put Plumbing in, his very easy if you pop a submersible pump and width cheap tubing from Lowe's to pump water out and then when the water is low enough, move the pump into your aged water and pump back in. And during the time your pump is pumping out water or pumping water into the tank, he could be sitting there watching TV, making dinner, or whatever. If you're like me though, set the oven timer so that you don't forget that you are in the middle of a water change! Depending on where your water storage containers are, of course you have the third step which is to fill the storage containers back up for the next water change. To be honest, I violate the whole water aging container method. I just fill the tank back up straight from my tap with some Seachem Safe but I don't recommend what I do.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Willie

Is discus really the best choice if you're too busy to maintain the tank? If you don't like Africans, maybe some other South American cichlids would do just as well. Geophagus are both beautiful and interesting.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Willie, I agree... but I think with the setup he was going for, the amount of fish, and if he plans out a solid way to do adequate water changes (I'd say twice a week min) yet be easy on him especially during days after work where you are Zapped, I think he would be fine. If he was trying to grow young discus out then I would completely agree with looking at other fish.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

https://www.santa-monica.cc/

Algae scrubbers remove lots of nitrates and phosphates so you might be able to get away with once a week with adult fish.