AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: API test kit

Default API test kit

Is anyone here having unusual readings from their API test kit, I recently purchased the master kit and my nitrate readings are off the charts on all my tanks but with no ill effects to any of my fish even the most sensitive of my species in fact I have regular spawns ,if I didn't have a test kit and looked at the fish I would say everything is fine but the test kit is telling me they should be dead,am I doing something wrong

Jeanne

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: API test kit

Odd ? Most fail using the nitrate test by not shaking reagents properly and get zero for it .
    Getting an unusual high ? Have you tested the test on your tap or other know source of zero nitrates ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Bill G.

Just out of curiosity since one cannot see actual nitrates, plz tell us your tank sizes, fish numbers per tank, how deep your gravel or sand is, filtration, plants, wood, WC sequences, KH, GH, PH, and feeding routine. Any of these or several could affect your NO3 readings. Also, buy the Nitrate kit alone and recheck in case your current kit is somehow compromised. Always be sure to rinse out the test tubes with RO water or distilled so as to eliminate contamination from previous testings. Are your bottoms covered with plants or decorations causing uneaten food to build up where the fish can’t really get to? Just trying to help.

Real Name
    Willie

Maybe take a tap water sample to your LFS to get a comparison of their results?

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Contacted API ,very disappointed with customer service, last response was 1/28/2020

Jeanne

Registered Member

As I have posted before, reefers who is quarrel require exacting water conditions, perhaps even more so than with discus. No one would ever use API. People use Salifert test kits. The kids are more expensive and the processes are longer. But most advanced aquarium enthusiasts have faith in them

Real Name
    Aaron

The API nitrate test is the most intricate of the tests and, as someone has already suggested, if the steps involving shaking of the reagents and then the shaking of the vial are skipped or done incompletely, you'll get funky results.