ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Treating with PraziPro

Registered Member

Default Treating with PraziPro

After doing heat and salt treatments for going three weeks now, I have decided to go ahead and treat my entire tank. As I am now seeing darting in all three of my discus.

Last week things seemed to be going great! All were eating and doing good...... the one that was initially darting hadn’t been doing it in almost two weeks! Then out of no where my red melon suddenly began darting all over the tank, hitting the hood and then floating lifelessly around for about 30 seconds. He then rested for about an hour and was back to normal. Later that evening my peach colored one darted around the tank, although not as violently as the melon had. Then the one that started darting a few weeks ago, I saw him rubbing himself all over a pot I have in there.

So last night I treated with the Prazipro. I’m treating with the directions on the bottle, however, I’ve been reading so many different things on treating its leaving me confused. One thing I read was where someone did wc’s everyday and replaced the Prazipro to the % of wc where as the directions say to do that every 3-5 days.

So I would really love everyone’s thoughts on how to go about treating.

Update........ lost my melon He was swimming around fine an hour ago. Not sure if he had a darting episode and hit something too hard or what.
    Last edited by Chimama; 01-25-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Treating with PraziPro

I guess it won't hurt to try, but I don't believe it's worms nor flukes. Also, it would have been better to add this to your older post so folks know what's going on. Dosing would be every 3-5 days, but your talking discus and every day or so WC's are usually done so it's when ever WC's take place.

Real Name
    Mervin

Real Name
    Willie

I'd move that fish to a quarantine tank, regardless of how you chose to treat it. I lost a tankful of fry about this time last year to darting. The largest one started darting and ended up floating the next day. Over a three week period, I lost the entire group.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I'd move that fish to a quarantine tank, regardless of how you chose to treat it. I lost a tankful of fry about this time last year to darting. The largest one started darting and ended up floating the next day. Over a three week period, I lost the entire group.

Willie
    I previously lost 3 others to this same issue...... they were perfectly healthy one minute and then darting and dying with in a day of it starting. Seeing how my last 3 had started with the darting.... and losing another one, I figure treating the entire tank would be needed. My first one that darted I did quarantine...... she darted around in quarantine and died before I could even think of what kind of treatment to do. Then two more followed. None of them had or have shown signs of any type of illness before their darting episodes. And all parameters were good.

We have checked both heaters and all seems to be fine with those. But my husband is going to bring his voltage meter home from work so we can checked to see if there is any high voltages in the water.

So treating the tank is really a last resort for me in an effort to try and keep from losing my last two. I’m devastated over losing my others, as I’ve worked so hard with the water changes, testing parameters and making sure I do everything I can to keep them healthy. Things were going so well for the last six months with no issues. But now this which has left me at a loss as to what to do.

Real Name
    Mervin

Good luck!!! I have never heard of a cure for this darting and whirling, which looks like seizure activity. That's what I beleive it is. Are all your fish from the same source? and are they about 4-4.5"? That seems to be the size it occures. Very strange. Very devastating to watch one by one. This also occured to me a few years ago. Strange that it only took the new fish out and didn't pass anything on to the rest of their discus tank mates. In all my years of fish keeping this one has me puzzled for sure.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Good luck!!! I have never heard of a cure for this darting and whirling, which looks like seizure activity. That's what I beleive it is. Are all your fish from the same source? and are they about 4-4.5"? That seems to be the size it occures. Very strange. Very devastating to watch one by one. This also occured to me a few years ago. Strange that it only took the new fish out and didn't pass anything on to the rest of their discus tank mates. In all my years of fish keeping this one has me puzzled for sure.
    I agree it does look like seizures and it is very puzzling. They are about 4” in size and it started with one and then went right through the rest, with only 2 left now. It’s very heartbreaking.

My husband did a test for voltage with his meter tonight and it did read a bit higher than it should be. We found that the colbalt heater we have is the culprit for that. Now the question is now was that the issue? We took that heater out and replaced it with an Aqueon glass heater and readings are now in normal range. Only time will tell if that was the issue or not. Part of me is hoping that was the issue but if it was the problem it just makes me feel even worse about losing the others. We checked the heaters over and over again and found nothing visibly wrong with them. And I was unaware you could check voltage in the water with a meter....... my husband suggested it and then we looked up how to do so.

Now my main concern is whether to continue to treat with the Prazipro as a precaution or not. I suppose it can’t hurt although I really hate to medicate unnecessarily.

Real Name
    Mervin

But if it were the heater; would not all fish act shocked at the same time. Not just one by one.

Registered Member

But if it were the heater; would not all fish act shocked at the same time. Not just one by one.
    I was also thinking the same thing. But seeing how that heater was definitely causing higher than normal volts going through the water we immediately took it out. If my last two continue to do well I still won’t be certain it was actually the heater, as I also treated with the prazipro. I figure at this point it’s worth a shot to treat the tank anyway as a precaution. After losing 4 of them to the same issue I’m grasping as straws trying to save my last two. It’s just so baffling because there is nothing that is visibly wrong with them.......they look good, eat good and are active....... until they start darting and then it just seems to go down hill so quick there’s no time to figure out what exactly to do.

Real Name
    Mervin

I really don't think there's anything wrong with your water or has anything thing to do with your husbandry. I believe it's something to do with the discus themselves. And the place from where they are coming from. There is no other explanation for other wise healthy acting/looking discus. They appear happy and all a sudden they freak out to the point of exhaustion and lay on the bottom breathing like crazy. Looks just like a seizure. 8-9 month old discus.

Registered Member

I really don't think there's anything wrong with your water or has anything thing to do with your husbandry. I believe it's something to do with the discus themselves. And the place from where they are coming from. There is no other explanation for other wise healthy acting/looking discus. They appear happy and all a sudden they freak out to the point of exhaustion and lay on the bottom breathing like crazy. Looks just like a seizure. 8-9 month old discus.
    It makes sense because that is exactly what happened. They didn’t stop eating or hide or act sick in any way. They were eating like pigs, were happy thriving and growing. And then suddenly started freaking out......... very much like a seizure. And it’s horrible and devastating to watch. And I’ve done everything I can think of to try to stop it before it got to the point of no return.

My last two so far are doing ok........ one of them did not freak out like the others did. She did it once and it was very mild. The other one did freak out to where he knocked himself out once but seems to be doing ok since removing the heater. Although I am not certain it was the heater that caused any of it. I will say he may be doing better but he isn’t the same fish he was before the darting episode. He’s definitely more skiddish now.