AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breathing From One Gill & Losing Appetite

Registered Member

Default Re: Breathing From One Gill & Losing Appetite

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Try April Ross at April’s aquarium in Burnaby for meds....she is knowledgeable.......
    http://aprilsaquarium.fish/
    Thanks for the video, Francis. It is very educative! I had tried April in the past but I thinks she was probably too busy.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Iodine is used in some water conditioners these days. What little bit that is table salt should be ok. I have only used salt a few times in my 50 years of fish keeping and it was always cheap table salt. Or epsom salt in case of bloat or constipation. Here is the conditioner::https://www.sera.de/us/service/info/...al-substances/
    What's your secrete for keeping discus without disease? I think I did everything I could but they still get into problems from time to time...

I have never had a problem using iodized salt. Discus Hans said that it doesn't matter and for me anyway, it never has. I don't use tons of the stuff so I just buy Morton's at the supermarket. If I were to have to treat a big Discus I would buy it at Lowes or Home Depot where they sell it in bulk, cheap. As long as it's pure salt, it's fine.

(sorry I forgot about you for a few days.)
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

$8/40# @ HD. 99.8% pure sodium chloride. Works great. Cheap as chips.
    shopping.jpeg

Danny to the rescue once again.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Danny to the rescue once again.
    Lol, thx Liz. I don't know heaps, but like to help when I do know something

Same as me. What I know I really know. If I take a guest guess I try to make that clear. I don't know so much more than I know, but what I do know if free for the asking. So many of us are like that here.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Amen, that's what I like about SD, and it's what keeps forum life alive and well! The shared knowledge of many makes for much knowledge! Peace Mama Bear!

Peace
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Just wanna give you a quick update here. I've been doing less water change and I think my cycle is almost back on with less than 0.25ppm of ammonia reading before daily water change. I think my water issue is almost gone. However, I've been treating my fish with table salt and heat for 2 days with no result. I now observe two other fish starting to lose appetite seemingly. They still eat when I feed but they definitely eat less than used to be. I'm a little panic now. Do internal parasites spread pretty easily and fast?

I decide to get some medicine from my source. I can get either Seachem Metroplex or levamosile. Which one is affective in my case? Can I use them together? I will treat my whole tank now as I suspect more fish may suffer this same issue. Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
    What's your secrete for keeping discus without disease? I think I did everything I could but they still get into problems from time to time...
    No secrete about large volumes aged water and WC,s and clean hands going into the tank.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    No secrete about large volumes aged water and WC,s and clean hands going into the tank.
    I guess I will have to consider aging my water in future.... I've been doing 90% water change every day and was told that's too much?

Registered Member

I'm on my way to get some Seachem Metroplex. Just curious to see if I can lower the water level in my main tank so that I can treat the tank with lower dosage? The meds are crazily expensive... I wonder if it's safe to leave only half of the water in the tank (30gallon) during the treatment for a few days? I currently have 7 subadult fish in there. I will just shut off my canister filter and put all the media inside the tank, but I will just keep my sponge filter running as usual. Is this a viable idea?

Registered Member

Just wanna update everyone that my sick discus had all the sudden recovered without any med! He went through a salt bath with increased temperature for the last two days, and my cycle had also recovered with 0 ammonia reading just before water change today.

I not sure which did the wonder but when I came home from work today I immediately saw the fish not hiding and swimming around with the group. I later on fed them some frozen blood worms and he literally attacked the food like crazy. I was surprised as I had never seen him so aggressive before!

Anyways, I still saw some white stringy things floating around in the tank. I'm not sure if those are white poop or undigested blood worms. I feed them Hikari Jumbo Frozen Bloodworms and some of them don't get fully digested.

I will continue on with the salt bath for a couple more days just to be sure. At this point I guess I don't have to try any medicine?

It sounds like you've got it licked. It was probably the ammonia, but just in case, I'd keep the salt and high heat for 12 days.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123