pic of month     Kenny's Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first wild discus, Blue Faced Heckels!

iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: My first wild discus, Blue Faced Heckels!

Heckels, are awesome fish and the ultimate challenge as to get them to breed, They will look beautiful in any water, but if you manage to maintain soft water and low ph , they will look their best. at the same time use caution when dealing with ph.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Willie

Back in the day, I kept Heckels in a 55-gallon tank in 100% R/O water. They did fine in the tank. Then I decided to bring the pH down to 5.0 with a drop of acid. The Heckels really thrived in at that lower pH. They swam a lot more and ate more food. Of course, it's hard to maintain that pH. Once the pH crashed and burnt up a school of cories in the tank. The discus were fine. Back then, I just had paper test strips which went down to pH 4.5. So I knew it was at least 4.5, but not whether it was much lower.

This batch is striking for the round shapes. We shouldn't expect wild caught fish to grow to huge sizes. Frankly, these look great to me.

Willie
    Why don't I read Harry Potter novels? Because I'm an adult.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    Heckels, are awesome fish and the ultimate challenge as to get them to breed, They will look beautiful in any water, but if you manage to maintain soft water and low ph , they will look their best. at the same time use caution when dealing with ph.
    Yes! getting the water to low PH is not hard, maintaining it during WC will be tricky or tedious at least.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Back in the day, I kept Heckels in a 55-gallon tank in 100% R/O water. They did fine in the tank. Then I decided to bring the pH down to 5.0 with a drop of acid. The Heckels really thrived in at that lower pH. They swam a lot more and ate more food. Of course, it's hard to maintain that pH. Once the pH crashed and burnt up a school of cories in the tank. The discus were fine. Back then, I just had paper test strips which went down to pH 4.5. So I knew it was at least 4.5, but not whether it was much lower.

This batch is striking for the round shapes. We shouldn't expect wild caught fish to grow to huge sizes. Frankly, these look great to me.

Willie
    Thanks Willie. Will do my best to get the best out of them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234