ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help with upgrading from 50 gallon to a larger aquarium 75 gallon

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Default Help with upgrading from 50 gallon to a larger aquarium 75 gallon

So I decided to take the plunge and upgrade form a 50 gallon to a 75 gallon. My current 50 gallon has 2 marineland emperor 400 filters on them and a sponge filter connected to a tetra 60 gal air pump, So I don't think I need to upgrade my filtration. My original tank was all painted black with black sand and I really hate the look so I painted the new tank light blue. I intend on using a new substrate for the new tank because black darkens all my discus. I intend on using white pool filter sand. My question is: If I upgrade my aquariums do I need to transfer the substrate from my old tank to my new tank or do I have enough beneficial bacteria in my filters to prevent a mini cycle when I upgrade? Also should I transfer the water from my old fish tank to my new one?

Thank you for the help!

Registered Member

Default Re: Help with upgrading from 50 gallon to a larger aquarium 75 gallon

No on the substrate. Yes, you have enough bio filtration...just make sure the filter media doesn't dry out during your transfer. All new water as long as your current fish are used to big water changes. Make sure the temp and parameters are as consistent as possible from old to new.

Registered Member

Oh ...and wash that pool filter sand well. And when you think it is clean, wash it some more.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    No on the substrate. Yes, you have enough bio filtration...just make sure the filter media doesn't dry out during your transfer. All new water as long as your current fish are used to big water changes. Make sure the temp and parameters are as consistent as possible from old to new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Oh ...and wash that pool filter sand well. And when you think it is clean, wash it some more.
    Awesome thank you so much for the clarification! I'll make sure to rinse the pool filter sand well hahaha last time I used it my tanks was super cloudy.

Registered Member

One other tidbit I learned recently:

The water itself contains no bacteria; therefore, it won't help jumpstart a cycle. The bacteria adheres to surfaces like rocks, substrate and filter media so you need samples of those items in your tank to get things seeded.