ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Liz, if a horse is not trimmed or shod correctly it can cause all sort of problems. So yes, it could inhibit proper movement of the horse causing foot and leg injuries, cause misalignment of the spine, create soreness in all sorts of places and creates an unhappy horse. Of course saddle fit and an unbalanced rider can have similar effects.

I wonder Liz if you could ride your mare at a walk bareback and totally relax and let her movement move and free up your back a little. You would need to totally relax and allow your body to move with the horse. It is a rather cool feeling...almost liberating.

Very close Liz and yes, the hot shoe provides a more exact fit then cold shoeing.
    Pat
    Bareback riding used to always be my favorite way to ride. The contact with the horse is so much closer. Then, I was instructed that I should have a saddle so that's what I did.

The mare is tall for me and I really do have the wrong kind of bit and the bridal was a gift because it was old and hard. The big problem for me is mounting if she doesn't stand still for me. I will need a step stool because I can't jump and throw my leg over like I used to do with my Mustang mare. I'll try though. I'll try anything that helps me feel better and I don't know about own, back but it will sure feel good to the rest of me to have jeans to skin contact on back of a horse again. I miss that feeling.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Bareback riding used to always be my favorite way to ride. The contact with the horse is so much closer. Then, I was instructed that I should have a saddle so that's what I did.

The mare is tall for me and I really do have the wrong kind of bit and the bridal was a gift because it was old and hard. The big problem for me is mounting if she doesn't stand still for me. I will need a step stool because I can't jump and throw my leg over like I used to do with my Mustang mare. I'll try though. I'll try anything that helps me feel better and I don't know about own, back but it will sure feel good to the rest of me to have jeans to skin contact on back of a horse again. I miss that feeling.
    Riding bareback is a great way to learn to ride and get your seat. Only do this if you are comfortable with this Liz. I have always used a mounting block. You have meet me and know I am quite short. Most kids are taller then me lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

We met at NADA. Back then my back hadn't started to fall badly apart. I was short, but not 5'1" which is what I figured you were. I'm 5'1" now. I'll try her with the old bridle and bit first but I know that some horses need to be taught to stand for a mounting block. I've been watching horse training videos for a while. I think I know how to teach her if she won't do it on her own. I'll try tomorrow if it isn't raining.

I hope I'll be PMing you soon to ask how select a good snaffle bit. I have that western type one that has the small raised part in the middle. It's not the proper bit for an old horse that would much prefer moving at a walk. She almost never acts like she had anything to do with racing in her entire life. She won her first race but once she moved up in class did nothing and was sold as a western pleasure horse. Overall, except for the fact that she can't eat grass she is still sound, just lazy. Walking around with a rider on her back will be good for her.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Liz, I was never over 5 feet. Last time I measure many moons ago I was 4'11" and 2/3 so not quite 5 foot. I would teach her to stand at the block first. Place her for mounting and stand on the mounting block but do not mount. If she stands quiet step down and praise her. If she walks away give her a sharp no and quietly place her back into position. Repetition and release of pressure is the key to teaching a horse.

On the bit I have used a full-cheek snaffle in both a english and western bridle. It is a good bit and gentle in the mouth. I think there is one around here if you want to give it a trial. When was the last time her teeth were floated?
    Pat

I'd love to borrow it, Pat. Thank you.

I don't think she had ever had them floated until about 2 years ago when I started noticing her dropping weight. She was also leaving wads of grass all over. I had my vet come to check her teeth then. He did it and told me that her grass eating days were over and that I should start feeding her a complete food. She started putting on weight once I switched her to Safe Choice Senior.

Should I have the vet come out and check her teeth again? I can't take her do him since I sold my trailer way back when I sold all my Dairy Goats. I have no idea how to check them myself.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Liz, you can have it. Since I am out of horses and my daughter has all the full cheek snaffles she could use in a lifetime. The mouth piece on the bit is five inches which I would think would be fine for your quarter horse. It fits my quarter horse Bucky just fine. Having her teeth checked would be a good idea especially if the vet comes out for spring shots.

You could also put the bridle on your mare and teach her to bend. This could allow you to see if the bit is bothering her.
    Pat

Registered Member

Liz
    it might be easier to train her to stand still for mounting if you put her up against a wall
    so she can't move away from you and use a small step ladder so that your almost even with
    her back. It will make it easier for you. I used this method and it works but as with all training
    it takes time and patience . Good luck.
    Jay

I saw that trick in a video, Jay. I'd like to get started on her but right now I just hope for a break in the rain so I can go feed her without getting soaked. Also, I need to get her teeth checked before I put a bit in her mouth.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 02-05-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Mama Bear

Everything takes me longer to get around to than I figured, but I finally took Charlotte for a ride up the road bareback. It felt so good to be on a horses back skin to hair after all these years even though all my back would let me to is walk.

The poor horse had not been given personal attention for so long that at first she wouldn't let me catch her! I solved that by taking my gentlest slicker brush with me, not looking her in the eye, approaching her withers and then she let me brush her. She's shedding big time so it felt good to get all that dead hair off her coat. from there it was easy. We I let her by her halter up and back the road several times. After so long being asked to do something she was a tad spooky at first, but we kept at it and she settled down fine. Then it was teaching her to stand at a mounting block. She wasn't crazy about that at first either.

I don't know that it did my back any good. I don't think it hurt it any, though. Thanks for the great idea Pat.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Everything takes me longer to get around to than I figured, but I finally took Charlotte for a ride up the road bareback. It felt so good to be on a horses back skin to hair after all these years even though all my back would let me to is walk.

The poor horse had not been given personal attention for so long that at first she wouldn't let me catch her! I solved that by taking my gentlest slicker brush with me, not looking her in the eye, approaching her withers and then she let me brush her. She's shedding big time so it felt good to get all that dead hair off her coat. from there it was easy. We I let her by her halter up and back the road several times. After so long being asked to do something she was a tad spooky at first, but we kept at it and she settled down fine. Then it was teaching her to stand at a mounting block. She wasn't crazy about that at first either.

I don't know that it did my back any good. I don't think it hurt it any, though. Thanks for the great idea Pat.
    When you ride Liz totally relax your back and hugs. You want to feel your body move with the horse Liz especially thru the back and hips and you only want to walk. Sounds like your mare is enjoying the attention.
    Pat

I know, Pat. I'm comfortable bareback. The mare and I are both enjoying this. I didn't realize that I had been neglecting her until I started back working with her. Since her old horse friend died I have to be her herd mate. I feel bad, but she has forgiven me.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12