AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Getting Discus to eat new food

Default Getting Discus to eat new food

So i tried 3 days of feeding pellets and i got no bites after 3 days of multipe times a day feeding, so went back to Hikari FBW and Al's FDBW.

Probably gave in too soon but it was tough, since ive only had the fish about a week and a half.

I just ground up both some DiskusGold german pellets from Al as well as some Hikari Discus Biogold pellets and worked them into some 93% lean ground turkey i have seen some people recommend on here. put 1 lb into two flat ziplocs and froze.

First attempt had one large discus only eating, others just looking.

I dont have BB and its a large tank that i dont want to foul up too badly by overfeeding, hence the 2x per day.

Water params are good, nitrates below 5ppm, temp 86F and they will DEVOUR FBW and FDBW, but i am determined to get them to eat this new mix.

I can just ONLY offer them very small amounts of this new food 2x daily until they eat right?

Also have i heard correctly that i should not stretch them beyond 2 weeks of not eating the food as a longest window?

Thanks for advice in advance.

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Getting Discus to eat new food

Hi mate, my gut instinct tells me to give them more time to 'settle' before changing foods as they would still be adjusting to their new home. I'd just offer small amounts with their normal feed and see how that goes. I've successfully done this with mine over a long period of time. They are spoilt and mainly get FDBW and tend to stick their nose up at most things.

Default Re: Getting Discus to eat new food

There's nothing like live blackworms if you have access to them

Jeanne