ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trying to guess this Royal Red Discus's sex.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Trying to guess this Royal Red Discus's sex.

So my group of discus are coming in a couple of days and I got a really good photo from Dennis of one of my Royal Red discus.
    IMG-20200130-WA0011.jpg

I am just hoping all of the new ones are females because I truly need some. I am so desparate.

If you guys want to take a guess on the other ones here is the video haha, have fun guessing and helping me figure out if I actually got females ;(.
    https://youtu.be/2WMsdyFbLS4

Default Re: Trying to guess this Royal Red Discus's sex.

Due to it's color alone is appears to be a female. The underline also suggests it. I hope I'm right.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    So my group of discus are coming in a couple of days and I got a really good photo from Dennis of one of my Royal Red discus.
    IMG-20200130-WA0011.jpg

I am just hoping all of the new ones are females because I truly need some. I am so desparate.

If you guys want to take a guess on the other ones here is the video haha, have fun guessing and helping me figure out if I actually got females ;(.
    https://youtu.be/2WMsdyFbLS4
    While color is is not a good determination of sex in discus I would say the top photo, providing the top fin is not tweaked from aeration is a female and the video is tough to tell if you stop the video their blurred but I do believe your yellow is a female, so get your grow out tanks ready your in for some fun, enjoy

Jeanne

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    While color is is not a good determination of sex in discus I would say the top photo, providing the top fin is not tweaked from aeration is a female and the video is tough to tell if you stop the video their blurred but I do believe your yellow is a female, so get your grow out tanks ready your in for some fun, enjoy

Jeanne
    Thank you for the opinion. Really hoping they are all female.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post

Jeanne
    I also heard females have more red in to them while males are larger. My female discus(and was a proven pair) that died was smaller so I was kind of scared the ones I got were males since they were pretty big.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Due to it's color alone is appears to be a female. The underline also suggests it. I hope I'm right.
    Hopefully my wish comes true.

Real Name
    Francis

Pick up the fish and have a look at the breeding tube(not joking). most reliable is to have a good look at the breeding tubes (and even this sometimes fools even the most advanced hobbyist). The female breeding tube (ovipositor) tends to be larger and blunt at the tip, while the males are smaller and comes to a point.....great article...... http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

or you can take a closeup of the area and magnify. However, I had a large pair from Kenny, that we both thought were males - both had streamers and had male appearing breeding tubes that laid eggs. Go figure