ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody identify this ?

Registered Member

Default Can somebody identify this ?

This is not my video, but i have a sick Discus and when i look at the poop under my microscope it looks like this. The only difference is that mine are were fewer and swimming slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJ9xPjCyd8

Fish is currently in a 5 gallon bucket being treated with API General Cure, but its not helping and he's not eating (2 weeks now).

Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Can somebody identify this ?

I was afraid nobody would have an answer. I've looked all over and found nothing. Anyhow, fish is still in his/her 5 gallon bucket. Over a week of General Cure, 6 days of Metro before that and its still not eating. I think the poop is still white but since its not eating its not pooping.

Questionnaire is below, but my question is?? Metro didn't work, API General Cure didn't work. Today i'm receiving PraziPro and a order of Levamisole. What would you go with ??

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

White Poop, not eating. 3 weeks now of no food. Was hiding while in tank. Nothing out of the ordinary in the tank.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    White Poop, not eating.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Over a week of API General Cure

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    5 gallon pale. He/she has been in there almost 3 weeks. Its now its new home. I have 2 pales and switch the fish out everyday with a fresh treatment of General Cure.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    100% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

2.5 weeks.

The fish was in my 75 gallon but as soon at the poop started I treated that entire tank with Metro twice a day for 6 days. When that didn’t solve his issue he was moved to a bucket.
    All fish in the 75 are doing great. In fact 2 paired up and laid eggs a couple of times

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No, no PH swings either

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Prime

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____85

- ph _____8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____X

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    NO

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I’ve been dropping frozen blood worms somethings soaked in Garlic in with him/her daily. Its normally their favorite so stick with that. I also tried pellets once.

I think that they're round worms. Very common. Levamasol will do the job for you.
    Mama Bear

Also, Is your test kit old. A properly cycled tank always has a nitrate reading.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Also, Is your test kit old. A properly cycled tank always has a nitrate reading.
    Yes the test kit is old. Its a 5 gallon pale which is changed out everyday. There probably isn't anything to worry about now when it comes to water quality im thinking. I don't have the readings on my main tank.
    Thank you for the suggestion on the Levamisole i'm going to give that a try. I suppose i should treat my 75 gallon and 10 gallon Quarantine tank as well?

I would treat them all. Levamisole isn't hard on Discus. It also boosts the immune system. It's given to cancer patients after some treatments.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I would treat them all. Levamisole isn't hard on Discus. It also boosts the immune system. It's given to cancer patients after some treatments.
    Thanks again. I'll follow the dosing given on Angels Plus where i bought it from. I'll keep him in the 5 gallon pale while dosing. I hope he starts to eat soon. After 3 weeks its a little concerning.

Cheers,

Let me know. 3 weeks is a longish time, but Discus can go for months before it looks bad.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Would you eat if you were stuck in a bucket.

That's not really fair, Andy. The fish will eat when it gets hungry. Still, since he going since he's going to treat all of them I can see no reason not to put bucket boy back in with his friends during treatment.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by chris_1973 View Post
    Thanks again. I'll follow the dosing given on Angels Plus where i bought it from. I'll keep him in the 5 gallon pale while dosing. I hope he starts to eat soon. After 3 weeks its a little concerning.

Cheers,

Levamisole HCl is light sensitive. Store product in tightly closed, light resistant containers. Leave off tank lights or UV lighting when treating.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Levamisole HCl is light sensitive. Store product in tightly closed, light resistant containers. Leave off tank lights or UV lighting when treating.
    Thank you

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Would you eat if you were stuck in a bucket.
    He wasn't eating when he was in the 75. I'd love to put him in my Quarantine tank but it has my 2 Marlboro Reds going through their quarantine procedure. Until i know exactly what i'm dealing with their aren't many choices other than his bucket with heater and air stone.

Registered Member

That's not really fair, Andy. The fish will eat when it gets hungry. Still, since he going since he's going to treat all of them I can see no reason not to put bucket boy back in with his friends during treatment.
    I would like to put him back, my issue is that what if we're wrong and the Lavamisole doesn't work and he infects my healthy 75. As mentioned, my quarantine tank is being used by my Marlboro Reds (3 weeks left).
    I appreciate all your advice.

Cheers,

Registered Member

Let me know. 3 weeks is a longish time, but Discus can go for months before it looks bad.
    Thanks for all your help. He moved out of his bucket yesterday morning when I noticed a black poop. Looks like the Lavamisole did the trick.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast