AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Discus Tank Set Up Questions

Registered Member

Default New Discus Tank Set Up Questions

I’ve had various smaller freshwater tanks over the years with just community type fish, and one 30 gallon with Cichlids that my parents begged to keep when I moved out.

I’ve never kept discus before but I have been researching them thoroughly all through this site as well as just about any other site I can find for the past few months!

I currently have a Marineland 45 gallon tank (36.25 inches x 12.6 inches x 24.8 inches) with a HOB Top Fin Silenstream Power Filter 75 that I’m setting up as a display tank. I have CaribSea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand and a few fake plants and rock structures. I’m currently 12 days into my fish-in cycling period and the ammonia is just starting to build.

Here are some of the other perameters that I saw a sticky ask that I include:
    - Temp – 82
    - Tank ph – 6.5
    - Ph of the water straight out of your tap – 6.5
    - Ammonia reading – 2
    - Nitrite reading – 0
    - Nitrate reading – 0
    - Municipal water

I currently have three Angels, six Serpae Tetras and three Julii Cory’s that I got from my LFS, which is where I plan on getting my Discus too.

That’s where my first question comes up…. Is there a list or part of this site that can show reputable stores or dealers in my area (southern New Jersey)? The store that I’ve been going to is JB’s Tropical Fish in Williamstown NJ.

My other question is in relation to water flow and my tank set up. I included a picture of my current set up below:
    Attachment 126726

I’ve been noticing that fish waste has been collecting behind the rock on the right side of the tank and I’m worried that it’s creating a dead water flow zone. I currently have my filter intake at pretty close to Closed because if I open it too much it creates a strong current where the water flows back into the tank. I don’t think I should do that since I’ve read that Discus shouldn’t have too strong of a water flow that could push them around. True or False??

My thought is to get a piece of tall driftwood that I could put on the left side of the tank that would break up the strong current that the filter creates.

I really appreciate everyone’s input and am thankful for finding this incredible site!! I look forward to any responses.

Thank you!

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: New Discus Tank Set Up Questions

Your tank seems to be stocked now without discus. Not a good idea to put discus in a tank your describing especially young discus without mature immune systems. Can't see the pic.

Welcome to the forum.

Your 45 gal tank is really too small to keep the minimum suggested number of 5 or 6 discus as a compatible group, even without any of the other fish you already have in that tank.
    Suggest you consider getting a 60 gal tank as a minimum if you wish to keep discus successfully, and do some more research on discus keeping through carefully reading, once more, the threads in the Discus Basics for Beginners section.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by pgallagher View Post

Here are some of the other perameters that I saw a sticky ask that I include:
    - Temp – 82
    - Tank ph – 6.5
    - Ph of the water straight out of your tap – 6.5
    - Ammonia reading – 2
    - Nitrite reading – 0
    - Nitrate reading – 0
    - Municipal water...
    Also, your tank has not yet cycled.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.