ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Question on Strains and Breeding

Registered Member

Default Question on Strains and Breeding

Have a 120 Gallon tank i've been cycling for a year with some corys and tetras... Everyone is healthy. Bought 9 Discus from Island Discus all around 4". Out of the nine i have 3 sets that have already paired up and laid eggs. Wasn't really planning on doing any breeding but i do have 3 other tanks thank god. I have a 36 gallon with a Blue Diamond and a Cobalt. I also have A 38 gallon with a matten sponge divider. on one side is a Snow White and what i believe is a blue snakeskin. On the other side is a Yellow Checkerboard and i'm guessing a red melon, red marlboro? Had to take the last two out of the tank cause they were beating the crap out of everyone else. Not going to let them breed cause i'm not sure what the offspring would look like.
    I also have a 75 gallon i was going to sell, but waiting to decide on that.

Was wondering if someone could help me identify some of the strains i have?...
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Google is just confusing me more. Some snakeskins look like leopards and some leopards look like snakeskins to me....lol.
    will try to send pictures. i uploaded some to my profile but don't see them there yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg b.jpg (116.8 KB, 159 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (70.1 KB, 157 views)
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (167.0 KB, 156 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (47.0 KB, 154 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (142.3 KB, 158 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (124.6 KB, 157 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.5 KB, 152 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (51.8 KB, 156 views)

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Question on Strains and Breeding

The yellow checkerboard and red melon are both PB strains so they would produce a mix of PB fry, prob some solid and some patterned. They both have some peppering over the forehead, so the fry will have some peppering but should be relatively clean like the parents. A match worth exploring I reckon...

Registered Member

Thanks, wasn't really sure. I have them separated right now, they have laid a couple batches of eggs and keep eating them which is actually a good thing. If i'm going to raise fry i would rather raise from the other two pairs that hooked up.. Blue Diamond and Colbalt or the Snow White and Blue Snakeskin thought i believe they are too young even though they have been fanning eggs for bout 34 hours now. Wouldn't happen to know what the yellowish orange one is with the big red blob? He was trying to mate with the Red Melon also. Heck of a fight going on for a couple hours till i got the other tank ready.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I would say he's a Marlboro red which is also a PB strain, and would be a good match with the red melon.