ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camallanus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Re: camallanus

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Kusuri is flubendazole and salt. Flubendazole is effective against flatworms ( tapes and flukes) as well as roundworms ( capillaria and camallanus). I think the OP was asking if Kusuri (flubendazole) would work because he may be outside of the U.S. were levamisole is harder to obtain.
    No, I am in the Chicago-area. Levamisole struck me as being formulated for large mammals and a little bit harder to find and use while Wormer Plus, API General Cure, etc., are formulated for specifically for use in aquariums and have a number of positive reviews and videos. I appreciate everyone's input.

Real Name
    Tom

You can levamisole in a measured amount from Charles ;
    http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html
    Here is the directions for use ,note Charles uses a larger dose then what most follow on the loach pages that actually use Charles as a source of info in their bibliography ..
    http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/
    When I used levamisole years back on swordtails I got infected from a breeder I used the 1 gram per 20g of water without any problems ..
    He also sells flubendazole ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    No, I am in the Chicago-area. Levamisole struck me as being formulated for large mammals and a little bit harder to find and use while Wormer Plus, API General Cure, etc., are formulated for specifically for use in aquariums and have a number of positive reviews and videos. I appreciate everyone's input.
    We're really just comparing apples to apples at this point. Wormer Plus will work and so will levamisole for camallanus. API General Cure will not work for roundworms. It's metronidazole and prazi. It will only get flatworms.
    Levamisole is not hard to find. Angels Plus and Select Aquatics also carry it along with good dosing instructions. The only issue I've ever had with levamisole is it will make discus stop eating while undergoing treatment.

Steve,smsimcik, is spot on here.

Additionally.check out...
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/..._intro11.shtml
    Camillanus
    Camillanus is easily recognized as a small thread-like worm protruding from the anus of the fish. Control of this nematode in non-food fish is with fenbendazole, a common antihelminthic. Fenbendazole can be mixed with fish food (using gelatin as a binder) at a rate of 0.25% for treatment. It should be fed for three days, and repeated in three weeks.
    -university of Florida fish pathology(Parasites
    Ruth Ellen Klinger and Ruth Francis Floyd)

Fendendazole is a chemical analogue if flubendazole... work the same.

Since fish with Camillanus continue to eat.. fenbendazole in the food is a good option.. or flubendazole...

Or even levamisole.

AL
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

Since you mentioned fenbendazole Al, Angels Plus also has a dewormer flake containing fenbendazole. I have used it and it works great.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

We're really just comparing apples to apples at this point. Wormer Plus will work and so will levamisole for camallanus. API General Cure will not work for roundworms. It's metronidazole and prazi. It will only get flatworms.
    Levamisole is not hard to find. Angels Plus and Select Aquatics also carry it along with good dosing instructions. The only issue I've ever had with levamisole is it will make discus stop eating while undergoing treatment.
    I had not heard of either of those two sites, thanks.

I ordered Wormer Plus the same day that I first posted in this thread and I did the first treatment of the 40gB (not discus) that is infected. After reading this thread and continuing to learn I did order Levamisole HCI.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Since you mentioned fenbendazole Al, Angels Plus also has a dewormer flake containing fenbendazole. I have used it and it works great.

I saw that. I also saw on the web that some people treat monthly is that advised or only when an infection is detected?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    I saw that. I also saw on the web that some people treat monthly is that advised or only when an infection is detected?
    I would only treat when you are sure of roundworm infection, either by seeing camallanus worms hanging out of the vent or on detection of capillaria eggs in a fresh stool sample. Monthly treatment will eventually create drug resistance.

Registered Member

I would only treat when you are sure of roundworm infection, either by seeing camallanus worms hanging out of the vent or on detection of capillaria eggs in a fresh stool sample. Monthly treatment will eventually create drug resistance.
    And yet you need repeat treatments to really get rid of worms.

Fish aren't dewormed on the same scale as cattle which is where you first and often only see resistance developing.

Dogs have been dewormed regularly for decades and they're just beginning to discuss resistance.

There really is no reason to deworm fish regularly. I deworm all my fish when they first are acquired . I do this in the quarantine tank. ONCE done I no longer have to worry about worms unless I am introducing worms with fish that were not quarantined properly.. Worms don't just appear...they come from somewhere.If someone needs to treat for worms all the time, they should revisit their husbandry,
    Imo.

AL
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    And yet you need repeat treatments to really get rid of worms.

Fish aren't dewormed on the same scale as cattle which is where you first and often only see resistance developing.

Dogs have been dewormed regularly for decades and they're just beginning to discuss resistance.
    Actually, fish have been dewormed regularly in Asia for years. That's why many populations of gill flukes have become resistant to flubendazole, praziquantel, and the organophosphates.

As far as dogs are concerned, it only took about 10 years for some heartworms to become resistant to heartworm preventatives like Filarabits and Heartgard. I'm a veterinarian and I've diagnosed several dogs with heartworms even though they were on heartworm preventative and never missed a dose. The heartworms developed resistance to the preventative drug due to repeated exposure. You would be surprised how fast organisms can mutate to survive repeated exposure to drugs.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

To add to what Al posted...the makers of Wormer Plus do have on their instructions to deworm monthy. Why, because it sales product.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12