ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camallanus

Registered Member

Default camallanus

How does someone cure this. If a person was to dipose of the fish humanly and have the aquarium run for a month would that break the cycle because there would not be anything to host the worms.

Default Re: camallanus

Furan II and pristine water quality.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Levamisole HCI will kill camallanus .
    http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

sorry, Tom is correct. I thought you meant columnaris. My bad.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Just sharing......levamisole dosage calculator

http://www.geocities.ws/chefkeithall...DH7AlTCAdTdDMY
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

One of my tanks which is primarily a GBR tank also has a pearl gourami and an angelfish in it, both appear to have Callamanus worms coming out of their rectum. Has anyone used Kusuri Product's Wormer Plus and, if so, were you happy with the results?

I am not sure if I can post an Amazon link, moderators please delete if it is against the forum's rules. https://www.amazon.com/Kusuri-Produc...&tag=hydsma-20

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I haven't used it or seen it mentioned in SD in the 2 yrs I've been active here. What I do know is you have 2 very experienced fish keepers recommending levamisole hcl. Why not use that med instead if it is known to treat what you are dealing with? Or do you suspect other potential probs as well?
    Do you have any pics of the worms you want to treat?
    Last edited by danotaylor; 07-02-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Yes, thank you, I did read the recommendations for Levamisole HCI and I appreciate the information about Levamisole being posted, I would probably use API E.M. if I went that route. Kusuri's Wormer Plus and API's General Cure both have widespread acceptance as a treatment for internal parasites and I was specifically asking about Wormer Plus for its ease to acquire, that it is specifically fromulated for aquarium use with many sites and reviews recommending it for use with Discus, Angelfish and Gouramis.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 07-02-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Flubendazole may work but levamisole HCI is preferred and known to be more effective .
    Any other 'wormer ' or anti parasite type med will be a waste of money and effort as I understand .
    I have used levamisole once before and worked as it should with only 2 doses spread 3 weeks apart .
    Most of the meds that work kill the worm but not the eggs so treating again 3 weeks later is necessary to kill what may have hatched from the eggs that survived .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Flubendazole may work but levamisole HCI is preferred and known to be more effective .
    Any other 'wormer ' or anti parasite type med will be a waste of money and effort as I understand .
    I have used levamisole once before and worked as it should with only 2 doses spread 3 weeks apart .
    Most of the meds that work kill the worm but not the eggs so treating again 3 weeks later is necessary to kill what may have hatched from the eggs that survived .
    That is an important distinction, thank you.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Also, API EM is an antibiotic, not dewormer, it would not be suitable for camallanus

Registered Member

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    One of my tanks which is primarily a GBR tank also has a pearl gourami and an angelfish in it, both appear to have Callamanus worms coming out of their rectum. Has anyone used Kusuri Product's Wormer Plus and, if so, were you happy with the results?

I am not sure if I can post an Amazon link, moderators please delete if it is against the forum's rules. https://www.amazon.com/Kusuri-Produc...&tag=hydsma-20
    Kusuri is the treatment recommended for tapeworms, however camallanus is a roundworm. You would need to dose either Levamisole in water or fenbendazole dosed in food by weight.

Tammy

I just gave my Discus their first Levamasole worming. I'll keep an eye on them but I don't expect to see the fish stressed in any way. I used a gram scale that was given to me by a friend from long ago. I know I'll have to treat again in 3 weeks. I hate to treat but this will be the last time for a long time. They've already been treated for hex and gill flukes.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tkuilderd View Post
    Kusuri is the treatment recommended for tapeworms, however camallanus is a roundworm. You would need to dose either Levamisole in water or fenbendazole dosed in food by weight.

Tammy
    Kusuri is flubendazole and salt. Flubendazole is effective against flatworms ( tapes and flukes) as well as roundworms ( capillaria and camallanus). I think the OP was asking if Kusuri (flubendazole) would work because he may be outside of the U.S. were levamisole is harder to obtain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast