AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honest opinion on these two, please

Default Re: Honest opinion on these two, please

What a good almost daddy my guy is. He's still by the eggs, fanning away.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What a good almost daddy my guy is. He's still by the eggs, fanning away.
    Because he learned quick... happy wife, happy life
    -Elliot

Well, he ate the eggs after all. I'm waiting for an RO unit. We'll see if it makes things change. I sure hope so. Something has got to give.
    Mama Bear

She probably told him she had a headache
    -Elliot

No. They do the deed, they just don't follow through on their commitment. It doesn't seem to bother the pairs, but I am always doing my best not to obsess over it.
    Mama Bear

Just pushing your buttons, Liz . I actually have a pair where the mom is at first very committed while the male may take a few 5 minute strolls around the tank but after the first day the male stays over the eggs and wont budge... even for food... while the female floats around, checks in, then strays around. Only problem is my biggest guy (not part of pair) eventually bullies on in there and eats their eggs, wrigglers, or free swimmers. Burns me up. But back to point... it's strange how their commitment switches after 12-24 hours.
    -Elliot

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I moved them to a 38 cube (my favorite size for Discus breeding). Today they are well in to their second day of guarding their eggs. Conditions should be perfect, but it's always up to the fish. I so want them to raise a batch of fry. Danny and Eliot, I feel honored to be asked to post a time line. If they do what I am hoping I certainly will. Thanks everyone for your interest and encouragement.
    Liz I just saw this post. I'm in Australia visiting my elderly parents for a short 8 days. Did it look like the eggs were fertile? Would caging the eggs help or do you think it's for sure a water issue at this point?
    All the best with subsequent spawns sis. It's gonna be great, I can feel it!!

Thanks, Danny. It's hard to see the eggs very well since the water is so dark with tea. For so long adding Roobios tea to the water has given me a good hatch rate but it's just not working any more. It's not just one pair I'm having a problem with, it's several other pairs of Discus and most of my Rams as well. It has to be the water. I'm sure I'll get results eventually once I get the RO unit from my friend who has been traveling to dog shows.

How badly were your parents affected by the fires? I understand that now that the rains have come there worries about landslides. But I heard I heard a story on the news the other day that in some places where trees looked very dead new growth is coming back.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

My folks were unaffected thankfully as they live on an island a few miles out to sea. There has been wild fires there in the past but nothing this year. A lot of the Australian Flora requires burning for germination to occur and the trees and scrub is very Hardy so it will recover quite well. The animal populations will be much slower to recover. The progress of people and families who lost everything are now having to deal with the slow down affect the covid19 virus is causing on the building industry...the hits just keep coming. Aussies are a very resilient people though, we have prevailed over many hardships, and we will rise above these as well in time! Thanks for asking Liz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123