ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Flake Only will Discus Grow

Registered Member
    Real Name
    J

Default Flake Only will Discus Grow

Hi All

I wondered if anyone on this forum just fed their Discus on Flake and have had their fish from say 2 inch and grown them to adults , if so what brand of flake had they used many thanks

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Flake Only will Discus Grow

A variety is always better. Even tho pizza has all the food groups, one shouldn't just eat pizza. Just like flakes, I would think. Omega super color if I was to pick a flake food.

Registered Member

Ocean Nutrition, by far the best flake out there,imho
    Jay

Real Name
    Willie

I have seen perfectly nice adult discus raised from 2" with just flake food. They don't quite have the "linebacker" look of discus fed with beefheart, so they look a little more natural to my eyes.

I would think that you would want to get the freshest flake out there. Most flake foods go from master warehouse to satellite warehouse to store to retailer to you and have a lot of age by the time you get it. No matter how well they're made, the vitamins and minerals breakdown with age. If your flakes are very large, then they're probably still fresh. I store my flakes in the freezer and just take enough out in the fish room for 2 - 3 weeks of feeding.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

A discus farm in Israel only feed the discus with Tetra discus diet...... We at 'Danziger - Discus' believe in simplicity, and feed only dry, top quality nourishment such as Tetra Discus. Danziger Discus's are being fed only on Tetra Discus diet!

http://www.danziger-discus.com/references_E_3.html
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I have seen perfectly nice adult discus raised from 2" with just flake food. They don't quite have the "linebacker" look of discus fed with beefheart, so they look a little more natural to my eyes.
    I like all of Willie's post but especially love the "linebacker" description. I don't discount Francis either but (without my own concrete, controlled experiments) the folks who've been terrific with prepped meats with vitamins and some veggies (e.g., spinach) mixed in + with solid WC/clean water practices just seem to have thick, "don't mess with me" fish. I feel dumb for posting without proof but off the top of my head I'm recalling past and present members who practiced homemade meat blends and consistently saw that extra thickness.

Hey, what's Joe's regime down in Aussie country? His fish can be used as NFL O-linemen! Curious what he does
    -Elliot