ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardinal Tetras

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Cardinal Tetras

Lol now that’s funny! Cherry shrimp are great. Ok need some pics. I’ve got shrimp in my tank but they hide during the day. Are your out during the day where the discus can see them? If your looking to get rid of them get some rams.

Interesting reading some of these experiences. I was dead set on large group of cardinals but now not sure. Was also introducing tummy nose and rasboras so may just make those two groups larger.

My cherries are always out... they've literally dangled in front of discus' mouths saying, "You know you want this, ... eat me..." And my discus act like they don't even see them.

My wilds back in the day would've annihilated them.
    -Elliot

My cherries are always out... they've literally dangled in front of discus' mouths saying, "You know you want this, ... eat me..." And my discus act like they don't even see them.

My wilds back in the day would've annihilated them.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Megan

So get this, not long after I'd written this i ended up with some Neon Tetras, which are even smaller than the Cardinals. Experience told me, "this won't end well" well, they're ALL still alive plus the small group of Glowlights I got!!! *knock on wood* and this is in my smaller growout tank (55gal)
    They're happy, gaining weight ans great color. What did I do different? No clue. I added loads of hiding places, nooks, crannnys, rocks and plants, as per usual. Zero issues. So, it IS possible, I suppose.����*♀️ I haven't veenbseenbtjem chased, they swim slowly around the tank without care in the world! Theu share it with some younger Discus (2"-3.5") larger tetras, Rainbows, and various cleaning crew. Did I mention loads of plants?? Lol wish Ibcoild offer better info on why this has worked this time (so far) but it has been months, and not one loss *continues knocking on wood*

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Lol now that’s funny! Cherry shrimp are great. Ok need some pics. I’ve got shrimp in my tank but they hide during the day. Are your out during the day where the discus can see them? If your looking to get rid of them get some rams.
    I have a cherry and amano shrimp population. The discus don't eat either. I do have one discus that gets curious at a cherry from time to time, but he just looks and never really goes for any. They all hide in a shrimp cove I built for them and it's annoying lol. The Discus aren't interested in the amanos at all and they still don't come out much. Hell, even my bristlenose pleco is afraid of the discus. (these are large 6.5-7inch discus though)

Unless I started with young discus I probably wouldn't have a shrimp population in with them again. Also, this thread is helpful. I'd love to add a rummy or cardinal population but I can't see them lasting too long unfortunately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12