AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Long time lurker , first day poster..... Fry on the backs of one of my pair....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Default Long time lurker , first day poster..... Fry on the backs of one of my pair....

As I said in the introductory dept., I was into discus back in the mid 80s and had to stop but started keeping them again 3 years ago. As of today, I have babies on the backs of fish I raised from 3 months old. They are blue diamond cross albino. Seems like all the fry found their way onto the parents who are a great pair so far. There are some albinos in the bunch ( it takes both parents having the gene to have albino fry) You can see one in the 2nd video I'm posting. This is a great site and thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Long time lurker , first day poster..... Fry on the backs of one of my pair....

Very nice and welcome to Simply!!! Feel free to give up updates as they grow!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Long time lurker , first day poster..... Fry on the backs of one of my pair....

So today is the 6th day they have been on the parent's backs. I had to put a separater between the parents as the mother was chomping on the father's tail. Marital spats leading to the fry getting tossed around! Now that they are separated, all is well and the fry swim back and forth between them passing through the grating. Albeit they seem to to spend more time on the father and not all of them make the trip to see mom.
    None of the albino fry seem to have survived even though they all seemed to attach to the parents in the beginning. Seems like as soon as they wandered even a tiny bit, they seemed to get lost and could not find their way back. I leads me to believe as with all albino animals, they have problems with their vision. At least it appears like that.
    The rest are all doing great and started eating bbs yesterday. They have pretty much doubled in size since the 1st day they went free swimming .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Good one Steve. How many of the 3 month ABD did you raise? The pair looks really nice. Do you still have other ABD adults you could show us?
    Well done raising them to breeding size and successfully getting fry to attach

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Good one Steve. How many of the 3 month ABD did you raise? The pair looks really nice. Do you still have other ABD adults you could show us?
    Well done raising them to breeding size and successfully getting fry to attach
    I initially bought 28 and landed up keeping my favourites and selling 1/2 after a few months to make room. I had the 14 left and landed up selling 6 of those as they started pairing off. I let a guy cherry pick and he took 2 beautiful females. In hindsight, I should have just started another tank. I currently have the pair in the videos and another pair (pictured) that has spawned a few times but the male is eating the eggs at this point. They also seem to bicker way too much. The female from the successful pair in the videos is not the original mate of the male. I lost the 1st one to some bacterial bloat sickness and put this one in with him and it worked out although the other one was a little prettier.
    Because I allowed the guy to buy 2 nice females, I'm now short. I have the 2 pair and 3 males. I'm looking to trade someone locally but there's not a lot of guys with adults that are nice around these parts.
    Here are a couple of pics of the other fish......

IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Cool story, bummer about the cherry picker, though hindsight is usually 20/20 hey. Still you have 2 nice pairs and some good male mating stock to switch out if the bickering pair don't get it right. Keep us posted. Which "parts" do you live by?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Papa with the fry today......

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Which "parts" do you live by?
    In Canada... about 85 kms north of Montreal

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

So today is day 8 free swimming. They are "growing like weeds" They are always with the father now and it's been at least 2 days I haven't seen one on the mother. this morning I found one of the fry dead and wondered how it happened. Well while watching them feed on bbs a little while ago, I saw 2 fry swim through the grating separating the parents and saw the mother go after them the instant she saw them. They escaped back to the other side (boy can they swim fast!) and I took the precaution of taking her out of the tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Video'd yesterday. 13 days free swimming.... growing like weeds! Dad is super protective!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve