ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stocking my tank

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Stocking my tank

I'd go one step further. If you see videos of Stendkers, etc., they're much more cramped than 7 - 10 gal/fish. It's far more dependent on the amount of water changes and the frequency. With heavy water changes, the filter is more of a redundancy.

Once they get to 5" though, I move the best into much bigger tanks. I find it hard to get discus > 6" unless they have room - still with the large water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I’ve been reading a lot about Discus, and I’ve read that some people have had success growing Discus out in a smaller tank. I’ve got a 120 gallon I’m eventually going to home them in, but I just think it would be easier to keep them in the 37 as long as possible, with all the water changes and aging water and whatnot. I guess my main question is at what point in their growth will leaving them in the 37 stunt their growth, given that the water they’re in stays in good shape through constant water changes?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I'd go one step further. If you see videos of Stendkers, etc., they're much more cramped than 7 - 10 gal/fish. It's far more dependent on the amount of water changes and the frequency. With heavy water changes, the filter is more of a redundancy.

Once they get to 5" though, I move the best into much bigger tanks. I find it hard to get discus > 6" unless they have room - still with the large water changes.

Willie
    I apologize to you, you answered my question and I overlooked it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12