ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stocking my tank

Registered Member

Default Stocking my tank

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have been a considerable amount of reading in the forum, so I figured I would post a first topic. So, I've recently purchased six 2.5 inch Stendker Discus from Hans. I'm wanting to home them in a 37 gallon tall bare bottom aquarium to grow them a bit before I transfer them to a 120 gallon tall aquarium. I plan on changing around 75% of the water around 4-5 days a week. My 37 gallon is prepared for them (cycled, etc.) so that is not my current concern. For planning purposes, at what point do I need to consider moving them to my 120? I guess I'm mostly asking about at what size will they be before I need to do it? I'm going to try and feed them mostly freeze dried black worms and some flakes hopefully.

Thanks for any info.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Stocking my tank

Welcome to Simply!! It sounds like you have a well thought out plan. A 37 is perfect for this size, number and especially for QT. It won't take them long to out grow this tank, so if you don't have another intermediate tank on hand I would personally transfer them when they hit about 3.75", although with your excellent water change routine you may be able to make it to 4". Pounding them with food early on is your best chance to get some good growth on them at this early stage of development so just make sure to stay on top of your water changes!!!

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! So, it sounds like I have a little bit to go ahead and set my 120 up and get it cycled? Maybe a couple months (assuming getting plenty of nutrition and good water quality)? After that, can I get by with a 50% water change every other day in the 120? I was just asking, because I've read on here that some people do multiple major water changes a day, and I want to be responsible enough to give them a decent life.

Real Name
    Brian

6 in a 120 is pretty under stocked so I think you will be fine with that schedule. You can certainly make adjustments as you gain confidence in your water and your routine. 6 juvies in a 37 is not under stocked so keep up the water changes until you move them. Adjust up or down according to feeding. With this routine I see no reason you can't put an inch per month on them, then they should slow their growth when they hit around 4". By the end of a year they should be around 6"+.

If you decide to add more, just make sure you run them through proper QT even if you buy from the same source!!!

Registered Member

With the plan you have in place, I see your discus reaching 3.5" pretty quickly. This is the size I would move them into the 120.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info. While I am at it, I'm wanting to ask about feed. I had discus several years ago, but they were already adult sized, so I wasn't as concerned about their growth and development as I am about 2.5" fish. So, I am thinking about feeding FDBWs. I'm also planning on feeding some flake food as well for vitamins. My question is, I know Hans feeds his stock his own beef mixture and they may be picky at first. When I had mine years back, they were addicted to FDBW, but I wasn't super concerned because they were bigger. So when I get my 2.5" fish, should I only offer flakes until they eat them before I offer FDBW? I am worried if I offer FDBW at first, they may refuse anything with vitamins, but I do not know if this is a legit concern or if it would even be a problem if they did only eat FDBW.

Real Name
    Brian

I would feed them anything they will eat. I make my own BH mix and they destroy it!

Registered Member

I’ve read that beef heart is about the best thing you can feed. But I’m pretty certain I couldn’t keep the water good if I feed that. So, is in the nutrition in fdbws sufficient to grow them to a good size if that’s all they’ll eat? Thanks in advance for the info.

Real Name
    Francis

You could add flakes food to their diet.....I recommend Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flakes..... Crude Protein (min.) — 53.4%
    Crude Fat (min.) — 16.6%
    Crude Fiber (max.) — 0.2%
    Moisture (max.) — 8.0%
    Ash (max.) — 4.2%
    Phosphorus (min.) — 0.6%

https://www.oceannutrition.com/dry-f...me-reef-flakes
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

With the amount of shrimp i put in my BH mix, it binds pretty good. Another food I use it Tetra Colorbits. It's better than most people think and really cheap for the 10oz can on ebay

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

When you move them to the 120gal you could transfer the filter or filter media with them since it will be used to the bioload of the 6 fish from the 37gal.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Fordcobra1986 View Post
    I’ve read that beef heart is about the best thing you can feed. But I’m pretty certain I couldn’t keep the water good if I feed that. So, is in the nutrition in fdbws sufficient to grow them to a good size if that’s all they’ll eat? Thanks in advance for the info.
    If you're really going to do large water changes, then water quality is not going to be an issue whatever you feed. A huge advantage of doing growouts in a bare bottom tank is that you can dial in the precise amount of food they'll eat very quickly. Feed liberally and cut back if there's uneaten food leftover. Within a week, you'll be able to feed exactly the amount your fish will eat and no more.

To ensure that your fish will eat a variety of food, I'd start off with flakes first. They'll love the FDBW so you can make that the last meal of the day. They'll likely eat every single scrap and leave nothing on the tank bottom.

I'd delay moving them to the 120 as long as possible. Young discus can be kept in cramped conditions, and they are both in Europe and Asia, with no problem as long as you do water changes. Remember that you won't be able to do as much water change in the 120 as in the 37. As long as you can keep up a consistent W/C schedule, I'd leave them in the 37 until they are visibly cramped. Growth will slow when you move them into the 120.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

So, this may be a dumb question, but how can you tell if they’re getting cramped?

Real Name
    Willie

Not a dumb question.

Take a look at the Youtube videos on Stendkers and Malaysian discus. You'll see beautiful fish crammed into tanks with 100% - 200% water changes. You can make your own judgement.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fordcobra1986 View Post
    So, this may be a dumb question, but how can you tell if they’re getting cramped?
    I think it a good question. I would think that fish do not know "cramped" quarters. People do. I have said often that I keep 6 large fish in a 30 gallon. They school on the left side half, or 15 gallons. Sometimes they venture to the right side looking for food. I also have a cone on the right. Sometimes two will peck at the cone, leaving the other 4 to huddle up on the lift side of the tank. I run a 70 gallon capacity filter with heavy air flow and around 100% water changes per week. None appear or show sighs of "cramped" behavior. You should be okay with one fish to 7 to 10 gallons of water. Fresh water always and often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast