AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to this forum and excited for Discus!

Registered Member
    Real Name

Default New to this forum and excited for Discus!

Hello,

My name is NC122606 (Well not really) and I have been lurking on this site looking at the tankmates page... Also those discus.
    So I now I have my new 54 Gallon tank set up, only have 4 rummynose tetras in it at the moment. (I know I need more LFS was out of them) So know I am here! I will probably be making anothing thread asking for discus strain suggestions with pictures! If you would like to share your discus right please do! Cannot wait .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Default Re: New to this forum and excited for Discus!

Well, I would recommend any of the discus from the sponsors on the site, specifically golden state, chicago, dennis, and kenny's. For strain suggestions, I would go over to Kenny's page and see the offerings he has for each month. You would probably have too many types of discus on your wishlist by then. But personally, I really like any of the pigeon bloods if your into some of the more eye-catching discus. What types of discus would depend on your personal preference, such as if you're into more natural or colorful types. Really though, you can't go wrong going on to any of the supplier's sites. They have a lot of pictures of discus for you to choose from.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC122606 View Post
    Hello,

My name is NC122606 (Well not really) and I have been lurking on this site looking at the tankmates page... Also those discus.
    So I now I have my new 54 Gallon tank set up, only have 4 rummynose tetras in it at the moment. (I know I need more LFS was out of them) So know I am here! I will probably be making anothing thread asking for discus strain suggestions with pictures! If you would like to share your discus right please do! Cannot wait .
    Do you live in USA? For photos you can find photos of almost any strain at Kenny's links. View the last 4 or 5 months shipments. If you do not want fish with "peppering" then most of the pigeon blood would not be your choice. You could choose 5 of the same variety or 5 different strain for variety.

Welcome to SD Nicolas,

Your 54 gallon tank is a bit smallish for keeping an appropriate number of discus for sociability, as well as some tank-mates, so to ensure good success, consider being conservative by keeping minimalist tank décor conditions, a good cleansing regime, and frequent, large wcs. Suggest not more than 6 discus, and perhaps a small number of additional rummies as tank-mates.

Best of luck to you with your discus-keeping !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-16-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Thanks!
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, notifications didn't come in. I will check out Kenny's for Discus, also I am in the US.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nicolas whereabouts in the US are you? If possible, it is fun to go pick out your own discus from one of our sponsors, but if you're not close enough, all of them are trusted and accomplished shippers!

Registered Member
    Real Name

Ohio actually! I am guessing you are in Cincinnati based on your location!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You got it mate!
    When I was ready for fish I drove up to Dennis's Discus Fish in Bowling Green and picked out my fish myself. Actually he sent me many videos of fish to choose from, then separated the 8 I chose into their own tank, then numerous more videos before I was happy with my 8. Then when I drove up to collect them in person I saw 3 that I preferred over the ones I had chosen from his videos. Dennis galdly swapped them out for me.
    I have msg'd him regularly and he is always quick to reply and kept contact with me also over the past 18+ months since my single purchase. If you keep him in the loop on any problems he will do anything to ensure you're a happy customer. I can't recommend him enough.

Registered Member
    Real Name

I'll check him out! It sounds like a great experience!

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Nick! Guess everybody’s over here!