AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs and water changes

Registered Member

Default Eggs and water changes

I have a you pair approx 13 months old. They have laid eggs several time and have always eaten them. Tonight they laid eggs and appear to guarding them. Should I go ahead with my water change or wait ?

Registered Member

Default Re: Eggs and water changes

Did you add any MB?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcombs View Post
    I have a you pair approx 13 months old. They have laid eggs several time and have always eaten them. Tonight they laid eggs and appear to guarding them. Should I go ahead with my water change or wait ?
    While I haven't bred discus Yet ,I have been successful with other egg layers and depending on how you do your water changes if you change from a sump I would say you're ok, if you're in the tank I would hold off until you at least have wigglers or they attach

Jeanne

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Did you add any MB?
    what is MB?

Meth Blue. And I do change water with eggs in the tank.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Meth Blue. And I do change water with eggs in the tank.
    MB or MG then?

I use meth blue.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I use meth blue.
    Thanks, Liz. I asked because I have a batch of eggs now and a bottle of MG on hand. No MB But I could go to PetCo on Sunday if the MG is not correct.

Don't worry about adding anything. Just do your WC.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Don't worry about adding anything. Just do your WC.
    Thanks, Liz! Would I want to do more than the daily 20% that I have been doing leading up to this blessed event? By the way I have ordered the TDS thing-a-majigger and it even has a temperature option. Should be here Tuesday. I will then know two more things that I did not know before. Hey! I just looked over at my other tank. I see a pair making strafing runs on a cone. Just maybe this might become a double feature weekend.

Real Name
    Willie

I've used methylene blue and other fungicides for discus spawns. After all this time, I'm not convinced whether the chemical treatment did anything. Sometimes I got good spawns, other times they fungused. Didn't seem to be related to the use of fungicides to me.

Eggs are quite resilient. I'd keep up the water changes. In fact, I would usually scrub out the tank and make a huge water change at spawning so that the fry hatch into pristine water conditions.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I've used methylene blue and other fungicides for discus spawns. After all this time, I'm not convinced whether the chemical treatment did anything. Sometimes I got good spawns, other times they fungused. Didn't seem to be related to the use of fungicides to me.

Eggs are quite resilient. I'd keep up the water changes. In fact, I would usually scrub out the tank and make a huge water change at spawning so that the fry hatch into pristine water conditions.
    Thanks, Willie. The spawn is 14 hours old so will do a water change tonight as scheduled. This scrubbing of the tank that you mention will not disturb the pair?

Not if they are any good. With an inexperienced pair I'd wait a day to see how bonded they are to the eggs before I did any wipe downs. Go to 25 percent WC today and work up to 30 percent. If you get attachment you will want to do even more. And once the kids are eating bbs you'll have to change the hell out of the water and squeeze your sponge at least once a week.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joshua

Not if they are any good. With an inexperienced pair I'd wait a day to see how bonded they are to the eggs before I did any wipe downs. Go to 25 percent WC today and work up to 30 percent. If you get attachment you will want to do even more. And once the kids are eating bbs you'll have to change the hell out of the water and squeeze your sponge at least once a week.
    Just a question for you Liz, why would you squeeze foam filter weekly? My breeding parents are at it again and it’s their 6th attempt but they haven’t gotten back to wrigglers. I was thinking of more time but possibly I’m not cleaning well, I have t squeezed my foam filter in a while.

Registered Member

Regarding the use of MB, while I do use it with other egg layers I've not found it to be of any benefit with discus. With clean water, a low TDS and dedicated parents, I usually only lose maybe 10% of the eggs anyway, plus, I hate how it stains silicone sealant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast