ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Alternative food for 1 week fry?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Alternative food for 1 week fry?

So I recently removed my frys from their parents. Due to not putting the mesh completely cover for my egg crate, I handmade a fry box and put them in there. The parents were pretty mad and I recently added new discus so my future 3rd batch will be them in their own tank properly breeding. I was wondering, my frys are not fully swimming yet, still laying down and wiggling. When they start swimming, I am going to do the dish method and feed them. I was wondering if there is any other food I can try to feed them? I know brine shrimp wont feed in their mouth at this age. I looked up egg yolk but I dont know how to do it. So I was wondering if anyone tried any other method? I tried to take some Tetra Granules and rubbed it a few times and powder started going everywhere, can that feed the frys? Just curious.

Registered Member

Default Re: Alternative food for 1 week fry?

It takes 7 days before free swimming. Fry will feed on ARP on first day. Also depending on the size of the fry you may feed BBS on the first day.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 02-20-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Alternative food for 1 week fry?

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    So I recently removed my frys from their parents. Due to not putting the mesh completely cover for my egg crate, I handmade a fry box and put them in there. The parents were pretty mad and I recently added new discus so my future 3rd batch will be them in their own tank properly breeding. I was wondering, my frys are not fully swimming yet, still laying down and wiggling. When they start swimming, I am going to do the dish method and feed them. I was wondering if there is any other food I can try to feed them? I know brine shrimp wont feed in their mouth at this age. I looked up egg yolk but I dont know how to do it. So I was wondering if anyone tried any other method? I tried to take some Tetra Granules and rubbed it a few times and powder started going everywhere, can that feed the frys? Just curious.
    Seems like there's no stopping you, no sooner you get new fish and you have a spawn, what's your recipe and congrats

Jeanne