ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Another predator attack

Default Another predator attack

It must have been coyotes again. I have never heard them howl and neither have the dogs. They just show up and have a party.

Night before last I heard a big thump and a chicken screech at around 3 am. The dogs woke up too and went crazy. It was raining hard so I let them out to bark then let them back in. We went back to bed, but they went on a wild bark 3 more times until I gave up and got up at 5.

Yesterday it rained all day as well so I didn't do much outside but feed the horse and check on the chicken situation. I saw evidence of some carnage but not much. I saw the small chicken door, which I cut out and wedged the cut part back in to close, was open. Since I still saw a group of chickens in the pasture I still figured it was a possum that had broken in and snagged one for dinner.

At dusk, I saw only 4 hens looking around for a place to roost. At dark I went to check on them and lock them in their house. None were there. I found 1 hen roosting on the handle of the garden cart. This morning I only found 2. One alone in the pasture, the other in the woods. I called them to come for a treat. They always come when I make my sound that tells them I have treats. The one in the woods came to me, but the other did not. I walked out to around the big bush where the one in the pasture was. She ate her treats but I couldn't catch her to check her out. It looks like she may have an injury around her vent.

I can't believe that they killed 7, perhaps it will be 8 of my 9 chickens left. I thought I had them safely tucked in for the night and they got slaughtered. I can't blame a fox for snagging one in the pasture once of twice a year when picken's get slim or to feed their babies. But this is too much for me.

I want my new babies to be safe at night in their coop. I'm going to replace the door which is not good enough with a high quality automatic door in hope it will help. If nothing else, it will work better than what is there now. And it will work when my back hurt so bad that I have to go to bed before chicken bed time.

Sorry this is long and rambling.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Another predator attack

Sorry to hear Liz. That really sucks

Thanks, Danny. I'll get over it it's just hard on me right now. The 2 that I saw yesterday finally hooked up with the other 2 that I saw this morning. They are scared to death, must have roosted in the woods out of fear. At least they came when I called to give them a treat. I hope I can find where the one I believe is injured roosts so I can catch her tonight and check her over. A chicken can heal from a lot, but the sooner you can treat it the better. At least it's too cold for blow flies.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

It's tough seeing any animals suffer, but especially ones you know & care for. I hope you find the injured one soon. Your attentiveness & nurturing touch will bring it back to health even if it has just the remotest chance! Blessings chicken whisperer!!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I'm sorry Liz. I will call this weekend.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I went looking for their roosting places and all 4 were roosting together, nest to the chicken house, up in a tree! Those big fat chickens aren't supposed to be able to get up in a tree! I got a pretty good look at the injured one's butt and abdomen. I'm pretty sure she just had a very close call. Fact that she could get in a tree with the others is enough evidence of that.

I honestly try not to turn my chickens into pets, but it happens. Now that I know they're fine I'll be able to put this behind me very soon. Thanks for indulging me with your kindness when I needed it.
    Mama Bear

Thanks, Barb. You understand how much my worthless silly animals mean to me.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Dogs, horse, cat, fish, chickens, all pets. Hurts to lose any of them in my opinion! I sure love all our pets.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry about you losing part of your flock Liz We all get attached to the critters under our care.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

And rightly so Liz, life is precious!