ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help with Discus ID

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Default Help with Discus ID

So I was just wondering what type of discus strain this is? I was told it was an alenquer discus. It looks like it could be, maybe it's just bad genetics and it's colors aren't too good. If so do you guys think if I gave it proper care it will eventually color up? Thanks!

Here is the link to the photo:
    https://imgur.com/a/SUSwvYq

Registered Member

Default Re: Help with Discus ID

Quote Originally Posted by JayDiscus View Post
    So I was just wondering what type of discus strain this is? I was told it was an alenquer discus. It looks like it could be, maybe it's just bad genetics and it's colors aren't too good. If so do you guys think if I gave it proper care it will eventually color up? Thanks!

Here is the link to the photo:
    https://imgur.com/a/SUSwvYq
    Could be a Red Alenquer cross. I have Alenquer with blue where this one shows red. I have Red Alenquer which shows no red at all. Yours has a chance to be a Red Alenquer but could also be a cross and not a true wild.

Registered Member

Another thought. This appears to be a young fish. If so the color will change with aging, you know that. Since it has a reddish ting why not feed it red color enhancing foods in order to bring out that red?:

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Could be a Red Alenquer cross. I have Alenquer with blue where this one shows red. I have Red Alenquer which shows no red at all. Yours has a chance to be a Red Alenquer but could also be a cross and not a true wild.
    I do have a feeling like it is a cross, usually when I get my hands on a couple of wilds they tend to have small bruises from transit and bickering which this shows, but that's not a surefire way to tell. Thanks for the input

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Another thought. This appears to be a young fish. If so the color will change with aging, you know that. Since it has a reddish ting why not feed it red color enhancing foods in order to bring out that red?:
    Yup I'll definitely feed him some red enhancers while in quarantine. But the thing is when I out him in quarantine a couple hours ago he went completely dark and his body turned a dark red, like a red cover discus. I might treat for worms first and see how it goes. Maybe he'll color up after I deworm and feed some colorbits. Thanks again

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Here is an update with the discus not stressed he seems to be doing fine, but look at that unique color! I've never seen that before. This discus is already 6+ in. so maybe he won't change colors later on, but only time will tell.

https://imgur.com/a/4JIdpxQ
    Last edited by JayDiscus; 02-22-2020 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Photo insert not working