ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Yellow Poop?!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Default Yellow Poop?!

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    - So I went to pick up a discus that was about to be euthanized because no one was buying it and my buddy who works there gave him to me. This place was a discus wholesale place and it was being put down becuase it did not meet the company's quality standards in terms of color and quality, my buddy at work was about to euthanize it, but felt bad and called me over.(I think it got ammonia burns from the process of almost euthnizizing it; it looks like the red spots on its face and base of fins are ammonia burns but idk) . I first put it in my show tank, but then saw they yellow poop and put it in my QT tank.(Big mistake I should have quarantined first I dont know what I was thinking). So the new discus in a quarantine tank for regular procedures. I fed it color bits, frozen blood worms, and freeze dried black worms today; I noticed its poop was yellowish-green.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    - Yellowish green poop, turns dark when I am not near the qt tank, but brightens up and comes to the front of the tank. Also seems to have a red bruise on its face near the nostrils (could be from him darting in the bucket after I was done acclimating him) A buddy of mine said he could have a bacterial infection since his nostrils and top lip was red and his eyes seem to have popeye, but I need verification

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

-Have not used any meds so far.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Show tank that he will be placed in eventually is a 45 gallon tank with 5 discus 5-6in, current tank is a 29 gallon tank. He's the only one inside and he is 5 inches

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

-In the 45 gallon I do 2 50% water changes a week and 1 25% in the weekend. I plan to only do 25% every other day in the QT tank

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

-The QT tank has been running for 3 years now, while the 45 gallon was an upgrade from my 32 gallon custom tank so that tank is only 2 months old, but it was a successful instant cylce.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    -Nope

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    - Seachem prime, in the 45 I use a python and drain 50% then add a capfull of prime, then fill it up and finally add another capfull of prime. On the 29 QT I do the same thing, but only add half a cap full.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86-88

- ph 7.6

- ammonia reading: 0

- nitrite reading: 0

- nitrate reading: 5-10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100% tap water

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    -The discus in the QT tank is the only one there

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    -Since I got it today I fed it frozen blood worms in the morning, tetra color granules in the afternoon, FDBW at night. (It only ate a little bit today, but I plan on giving it some beef heart tomorrow morning)

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Here are the images, the photo link is not working so I attached a link: https://imgur.com/a/cxCBg8B

I was planning on dosing the QT with Seachem metroplex and Seachem Kanaplex just incase this is parasite related or bacterial, but maybe I am just being too paranoid and the poor fish was just stressed from ebiing put in a trashy tank, the ride back home, bwing acclimated to my show tank, and then being placed into the QT tank. Also do you guys think that my show tank discus got affected by my new discus. I knew I should have placed him in QT, but thought he was fine and it slipped my mind. Also if it helps I can get access to a microscope at the lab and perform gram staining if that helps (I've never done it with fish feces so I dont know how to go about it lol) Any help will be appreciated thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the long info and stuff I dont know why I'm panicing too much maybe its just from stress. I hope it is, anyways thank you to anyone who can give me some advice!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Yellow Poop?!

Hi Jake. Thanks for using the disease questionnaire!!

I'll address a couple of things here.

1st, the QT tank is a good size to deal with this discus. I'm glad you didn't place it in a community tank because you would risk making everything sick. Since this discus seems stressed and possibly sick, I would follow Al's QT procedure found here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

I would first give this fish a heat treatment. Turn the heat up to 93 for 10-14 days. This would also be a perfect time to treat with metro, preferably pure metro and not the over the counter stuff like General Cure. The heat alone may fix it up, but the metro is the med of choice when dealing with a discus with hex. I would also add 5 TBS salt per 10 gallons and do 50% water changes daily with aged, heated water. Give us a report if anything changes for the better or worse.

If this guy is still eating, you can also use a metro medicated flake food.

2nd, I recommend yo get yourself a larger tank for the day you have more discus. A 45g is much to small for 6 discus. I use 55g tanks for the most part because of limited space in my home, but a 75g is better for that many discus because they need at least 10g per adult fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Hi Jake. Thanks for using the disease questionnaire!!

I'll address a couple of things here.

1st, the QT tank is a good size to deal with this discus. I'm glad you didn't place it in a community tank because you would risk making everything sick. Since this discus seems stressed and possibly sick, I would follow Al's QT procedure found here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

I would first give this fish a heat treatment. Turn the heat up to 93 for 10-14 days. This would also be a perfect time to treat with metro, preferably pure metro and not the over the counter stuff like General Cure. The heat alone may fix it up, but the metro is the med of choice when dealing with a discus with hex. I would also add 5 TBS salt per 10 gallons and do 50% water changes daily with aged, heated water. Give us a report if anything changes for the better or worse.

If this guy is still eating, you can also use a metro medicated flake food.

2nd, I recommend yo get yourself a larger tank for the day you have more discus. A 45g is much to small for 6 discus. I use 55g tanks for the most part because of limited space in my home, but a 75g is better for that many discus because they need at least 10g per adult fish.
    Awesome thank you so much!! I'll go ahead and do that! I'll keep you updated on how everything goes. Thanks again! Also do you think it would be better to place the discus in a 5 gallon bucket so the meds won't get diluted too much? He's still eating and everything but If I go with metro in the water it would be a bit cheaper for me since I only have a bit left? Or am I just creating a hassle for my self? Thanks
    Last edited by JayDiscus; 02-23-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I think your tank would be fine, although you will use more meds than in a smaller tank. I'm not sure if being in a bucket for 2 weeks would add to its stress or not, and I've seen fish in a bucket do harm to themselves by spooking and skimming the side of the bucket. If anything I would maybe pick up a 10g or 20g tank off of FB marketplace or craigslist pretty cheap. They are perfect size hospital tanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I think your tank would be fine, although you will use more meds than in a smaller tank. I'm not sure if being in a bucket for 2 weeks would add to its stress or not, and I've seen fish in a bucket do harm to themselves by spooking and skimming the side of the bucket. If anything I would maybe pick up a 10g or 20g tank off of FB marketplace or craigslist pretty cheap. They are perfect size hospital tanks.
    Ok thank you so much for the help! I'll definitely just sit hat instead thanks again

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

*Update* I've raised the temp slowly to 90F (I'll try to bring it to 93F later today) and got some more metro before dosing the tank I tried to put it in his food and he ate it. So maybe I'll keep this up for 5 days. I'm starting to think this discus might have a bacterial infection since the feces were yellow and he has the red nostrils and popeye, before I use any medication directly in the water I'll observe him for a bit. I might get some kanaplex just in case he does have an infection.

Also does anyone know if metro can be used as a preventative? Like if I wanted to add it to my show tank's fishfood it wouldn't harm the fish or the biological cycle? Thanks!