87987714_243446760005274_5614535318398042112_n.jpg

And today when I came home I found it popped and look like this -

spot1.jpg

spot2.jpg
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

I have been using Seachem Alkaline Buffer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I am not locked into that. I used baking soda for awhile. I use this product by itself, adding less than a tsp which buffers my 75g for 7-10 days. Just be sure to increase the buffering gradually. I also agree that the PH is not low enough to cause a burn. I don't remember what the API colors are but the tank might be 6.5???

I could be wrong but I think the water destabilization just provided the environment of opportunity. The water is stabilizing now.
    This sore looks bad. I agree that if the size increases I would put this in QT asap.

Brian, I know Al is out with family but maybe he can interject a perspective here through one of the assisting moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    This water is all over the place! Frank, I agree with your short term solution to stabilize the ph using sodium bicarbonate. Shan and I discussed this a couple of days ago and I ultimately recommend a product like RO Rite (or whatever is produced these day) because of the trace minerals, but you are more familiar with the water supply in your area.

The open sore concerns me. Keep a very close eye on it and report if it spreads fast. I would isolate this fish ASAP if it does!

I'm not good enough to eyeball the ph by color, but I don't think it's crashed low enough to cause a burn with the water changes being performed.
    Last edited by fljones3; 02-27-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

Shan, is the fish scratching this sore?

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Shan, is the fish scratching this sore?
    No scratching Frank. Im honestly surprised hes still alive. He gets real dark and leans to the side a lot and looks like hes about to die...but somehow hes still alive the next day

Real Name
    Francis

Perhaps Pat/Brian could contact Paul Butler ( pcsb23)ex Simply Forum Admin for his insight.
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-27-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Shan

After adding 1/4tsp baking soda and 30% pwc, my ph is close to neutral not even 2 hours later

88261075_177939480304435_360922585967362048_n.jpg
    Last edited by Shan_Evolved; 02-27-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Perhaps invest in Ph digital pen and you can get .
    it at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=ph+pen&hva...l_21o0m3xm89_e
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Frank

That’s good news on the water. Just monitor the KH. It doesn’t take much baking soda. You will have to determine the frequency. Smaller adjustments the better. You want to maintain the buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    After adding 1/4tsp baking soda and 30% pwc, my ph is close to neutral not even 2 hours later

88261075_177939480304435_360922585967362048_n.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

I have tried PH pens but they just seem to give me a wide range sometimes and are annoying to calibrate.

I definitely need to keep monitoring KH and PH and slowly figure out a system that maintains the buffer. I am open to suggestions

Real Name
    Frank

How much crushed coral did you have in your canister?

I have tried PH pens but they just seem to give me a wide range sometimes and are annoying to calibrate.

I definitely need to keep monitoring KH and PH and slowly figure out a system that maintains the buffer. I am open to suggestions

Real Name
    Shan

I had about the size of a hotdog bun shaped sack of crushed Coral in the cannister. I still have a lot left over. Are you thinking I should put some in my tank in a panty hose bag or something similar? Would this maintain the buffer?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Glad things are working out Shan!

Real Name
    Frank

You could (a little unsightly). I was actually thinking that you could put some in a canister filter It was working before, at least as far as buffering your PH.
    I know your old one was leaking and you have gone completely sponge.

I had about the size of a hotdog bun shaped sack of crushed Coral in the cannister. I still have a lot left over. Are you thinking I should put some in my tank in a panty hose bag or something similar? Would this maintain the buffer?

Real Name
    Shan

After talking with Brian, the goal for now is to stabilize PH. The baking soda helped with the PH yesterday, and the fish seem to be doing better, however I need to figure out a long term solution to keeping the KH up and in turn keeps the PH stable.

I believe the fish did great for a month due to the PH being stable and the addition of CC in my canister. However, Norfolk water additives might have caused a change in KH which allowed the PH to fluctuate even though I aged my water 24 hrs. With the addition of a carbon filter, I believe this can be avoided in case the water company decides to change water parameters again in the future.

Crushed coral is my research topic right now. Off the top of my head, months ago I think I read somewhere I needed to put a cup and a half of CC into my filter to help with the cycling process. This is why I put it in my filter during cycling. The reason I didn't think of this is because I changed my water 90% daily so I figured there should be a stable PH especially with aged water. Although the culprit isn't figured out, perhaps it was a fluctuation in KH due to additives in the municipal water which changed the PH levels without me noticing.

The plan is to add a mesh bag of 1 1/2 cup of CC into the tank and continue doing 30% WC. No more baking soda. Temp is going back up to 88, 3-4 tblspoon of Epsom salt per 10 gallon replaced, and metro treatment.

If anyone has a good guide on how much CC to put it, or if this amount is too much, please let me know. I am reading different amounts from 1 tsp to 1 cup for my tank but haven't found anything fullproof yet
    Last edited by Shan_Evolved; 02-28-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Real Name
    Frank

Moving forward! You are laying a good foundation and learning a lot about water!
    Hopefully, no change on the sore.

After talking with Brian, the goal for now is to stabilize PH. The baking soda helped with the PH yesterday, and the fish seem to be doing better, however I need to figure out a long term solution to keeping the KH up and in turn keeps the PH stable.

I believe the fish did great for a month due to the PH being stable and the addition of CC in my canister. However, Norfolk water additives might have caused a change in KH which allowed the PH to fluctuate even though I aged my water 24 hrs. With the addition of a carbon filter, I believe this can be avoided in case the water company decides to change water parameters again in the future.

Crushed coral is my research topic right now. Off the top of my head, months ago I think I read somewhere I needed to put a cup and a half of CC into my filter to help with the cycling process. This is why I put it in my filter during cycling. The reason I didn't think of this is because I changed my water 90% daily so I figured there should be a stable PH especially with aged water. Although the culprit isn't figured out, perhaps it was a fluctuation in KH due to additives in the municipal water which changed the PH levels without me noticing.

The plan is to add a mesh bag of 1 1/2 cup of CC into the tank and continue doing 30% WC. No more baking soda. Temp is going back up to 88, 3-4 tblspoon of Epsom salt per 10 gallon replaced, and metro treatment.

If anyone has a good guide on how much CC to put it, or if this amount is too much, please let me know. I am reading different amounts from 1 tsp to 1 cup for my tank but haven't found anything fullproof yet

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast