AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Default Re: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

But Tammy are there not worms developing in the fish's gut that the Levamisol that the wormer won't kill? I thought that it was normal for a fish to have a small load of any parasites that it's immune system keeps in check. I think it might be actually good to give the immune system something to fight so that the immune system doesn't start attacking the body's immune system and making a person more susceptible to auto immune disease like Lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis. This is just what I believe from listening to stories on NPR, but they were just presented as theories that made sense to me.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    But Tammy are there not worms developing in the fish's gut that the Levamisol that the wormer won't kill? I thought that it was normal for a fish to have a small load of any parasites that it's immune system keeps in check. I think it might be actually good to give the immune system something to fight so that the immune system doesn't start attacking the body's immune system and making a person more susceptible to auto immune disease like Lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis. This is just what I believe from listening to stories on NPR, but they were just presented as theories that made sense to me.
    The immune system of the fish does keep some parasites at bay, those consist of most protozoa and bacteria that actually live off the fish.

In the case of worms, they do not live off the fish itself but off the food the fish ingests. If the worm load grows unchecked it gets to a point where the fish is no longer getting nourishment. This is why if a fish loses weight it is immediately believed to be worms.
    In this particular case it us possible that there are several things going on, however if the fish is not getting the nutrients it needs, the other parasites can easily begin to affect the health of the fish.

Tammy

Adding a PS, Levamisole will paralyze any roundworms that are in the gut, the fish then passes them out in the stool. They eventually die off, however the eggs are unaffected by Levamisole which means he will need to repeat treatment.
    Last edited by Tkuilderd; 06-01-2020 at 01:05 PM.

You sound like you've studied aquatic veterinary medicine. Have you?
    Mama Bear

You sound like you've studied aquatic veterinary medicine. Have you?
    I take no formal classes, my studies are done from research papers written by those in marine biology. I have considered taking the classes, however at my age I would never finish a degree.

Tammy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, Tammy has done a lot of research online and is very handy with a microscope. She is a great help with the disease threads on FB and both Brian and myself have consulted with her many times.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Shan

I'm blessed she is giving me advice of which I will thoroughly follow.

May I ask what the general difference in flubendazole vs levamisole is? From my understanding one is a paralyzer and another kills
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Regardless of her lack of formal education in classes aimed for a degree it is obvious that she knows what she's talking about. And "handy with a microscope" is an understatement.

Tammy, I'm so glad that you are here. When you talk I will listen.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post

May I ask what the general difference in febendazole vs levamisole is? From my understanding one is a paralyzer and another kills
    Fenbendazole kills the worms but according to the papers written, it can kill the fish if added to the water column. It has to be given in food based on the weight of the fish, which makes dosing extremely difficult.

Tammy

Edited to correct medication being discussed lmao
    Last edited by Tkuilderd; 06-01-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Regardless of her lack of formal education in classes aimed for a degree it is obvious that she knows what she's talking about. And "handy with a microscope" is an understatement.

Tammy, I'm so glad that you are here. When you talk I will listen.
    thank you for your kind words Liz,
    I do not post alot on the forums since so many have so much knowledge here. This particular thread has been an interesting one that I have been following.

Tammy

May I ask what the general difference in flubendazole vs levamisole is? From my understanding one is a paralyzer and another kills
    Shan,
    I want to add that your microscope work was quite well done. This made it very easy for me to see what was going on. Many times people will try to send photos and videos but they cannot be read easily.
    Very well done!

Tammy

Now I'm going quiet again sine you have embarrassed me with kind words

Tammy

Silly woman...Don't stay quite if you have something to say, Please! If you get a compliment just say thank you and move on. It took me a long time to learn that, but it's what I do now and it works just fine.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

I would replace the sponges and/or existing filter material.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkuilderd View Post
    We generally replace filter material, of course this means extra water changes until the cycle is established. Tammy

Real Name
    Shan

Thank you Tammy. I am trying real hard to get to the bottom of this so I can try discus once again. I wish I bought a microscope months ago

I am worried about replacing the sponges as I don't have the large 55 barrel anymore to do daily 100% WC. I can do 60% WC max a day. Is there no way I can keep my sponges?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Flubendazole does not kill roundworms. It is the correct treatment for tapeworms, flukes and some protozoa. Fenbendazole (see my other comment on dewormers) and levamisole treat only roundworms.

Tammy

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast