ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Default Re: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Thank you Tammy. I am trying real hard to get to the bottom of this so I can try discus once again. I wish I bought a microscope months ago

I am worried about replacing the sponges as I don't have the large 55 barrel anymore to do daily 100% WC. I can do 60% WC max a day. Is there no way I can keep my sponges?
    I do not recommend it. Eggs from the roundworms can live through everything I think.

Tammy

Real Name
    Frank

I think with Prime and 30-50% WC you can make it, Shan.
    I forgot what you have in the tank besides the angels.

Thank you Tammy. I am trying real hard to get to the bottom of this so I can try discus once again. I wish I bought a microscope months ago

I am worried about replacing the sponges as I don't have the large 55 barrel anymore to do daily 100% WC. I can do 60% WC max a day. Is there no way I can keep my sponges?

Real Name
    Shan

Are you sure? I have tetras
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Frank

No, not for sure. Follow Tammy.

Are you sure? I have tetras

Shan, you need to toss the sponges. 50% water change daily with prime is enough. Just watch for any signs of distress from the fish. We do this with every new fish that we bring in. New sponges, New heater, New everything. 50% daily water changes with prime. I have not seen any distress in any of our fish from this method but I always caution you to keep an eye on them.

Tammy

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Tkuilderd View Post
    Shan, you need to toss the sponges. 50% water change daily with prime is enough. Just watch for any signs of distress from the fish. We do this with every new fish that we bring in. New sponges, New heater, New everything. 50% daily water changes with prime. I have not seen any distress in any of our fish from this method but I always caution you to keep an eye on them.

Tammy
    Okay sounds like a plan. I will treat with levaminsole, then after the first treatment I will do a large water change, replace sponges, and start doing 50% daily WC and monitor.

Fish are finished with their flubendazole and I've done a large water change, but unfortunately the angels aren't eating yet. Hopefully after the levamisole treatment but we will see.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Shan in post #207 Tammy did recommend a break from meds and to give your fish nothing but clean water for 7 days before the levamisole treatment. Not sure if you missed that part, but another med treatment could prove counterproductive in terms of their long term prognosis...
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Real Name
    Shan

Yes if course. After a week I'll use the levamisole. Just worried because they still aren't eating.

In the future when I get discus I had a hypothetical question. Since it seems the fish always eat like carnivores for a couple of days at least, when I get discus in the future, should I feed the levamisole medicated flakes for a day as soon as I get them? Or treat them with levamisole right away? It feels like waiting until they stop eating will hurt their growth. Guess what im really asking is what should I be doing differently next time I get discus. Any preventative means. Like what people do when they quarantine - use meds as soon as getting the fish

Real Name
    Brian

Loss of appetite is common after using Levamosile. Shan, to answer your question, I think after all the issues you've had, you would benefit from Al's QT procedure http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

Many people don't like to medicate without reason, but in many cases it's not a bad idea...

Real Name
    Frank

+1

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Loss of appetite is common after using Levamosile. Shan, to answer your question, I think after all the issues you've had, you would benefit from Al's QT procedure http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

Many people don't like to medicate without reason, but in many cases it's not a bad idea...

At least he's already done the metro part.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post

But I haven't used the levamisole yet. Regardless I will follow procedure and will def follow that QT procedure when I get more discus in the future.

Real Name
    Brian

Oops, flubendazole. Same effect...

Real Name
    Shan

One of the juvie angels is about to die. He's struggling to swim correctly and just floating around doing flips slowly. What should I scrape/put under the microscope once he does?

Real Name
    Shan

Well, he died overnight and I found another laying on his side breathing really slowly. At this rate I'm not sure any of them will survive long enough to even get to the levamisole treatment. I will still wait and see with small water changes every day. Friendly reminder that they stopped eating last Thursday. I had my first death within 4 days. Does capilaria usually kill this fast?

In case they all do die within this week, going forward I have 2 options - 1) fully clean and bleach mix my tank and start over fresh. 2) Or try another small batch of angels but treat them with levamisole right away.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast