AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Default Re: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Your thinking is correct, Danny. I just know from my own experience. I have dosed 3X daily many times before when I was following your logical thinking but I found it worked no better than once daily. If I were to do it 3X daily I think I would do a 90% WC twice. To me it seems that if it were killing more hex organisms then more WC would remove more dead organizems.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Woke up this morning to find one of my healthy looking silver pigeons dead. It was laying diagonally for a bit last night but resumed normal swimming before I went to bed. Attached are pics.

received_671370043607072.jpg

received_178051630303709.jpg

My Cobalt with the spot is looking nearly dead. Super gray and spot has grown into a white mulsh. I would take a better pic but it's too early in the morning and I have to go to work. Not sure if hell survive before I get home.

I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Like seriously what am I doing wrong???? I just dosed metro again after 12 hrs. 0.6 tsp from jehmco container
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Test kit results show nothing funky. I am not going to dose epsom salt anymore. Just metro at 12 hrs + heat + patience..

Right before daily WC. (During metro + epsom salt.)

PH - Ammo - NO2 - NO3

Attachment 126964

PH of aging barrel

Attachment 126965

Tap water

Attachment 126966
    In looking at your test results I'm going to say you have some serious water quality issues, just from your aging barrel to your tank I'm seeing a noticeable pH difference, and on your tank test a very strong 0 nitrates, and then on your tap water the ammonia is at toxic levels, some where along the line I think you have lost your cycle along with other water issues

Jeanne

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    In looking at your test results I'm going to say you have some serious water quality issues, just from your aging barrel to your tank I'm seeing a noticeable pH difference, and on your tank test a very strong 0 nitrates, and then on your tap water the ammonia is at toxic levels, some where along the line I think you have lost your cycle along with other water issues

Jeanne
    The pictures/ lighting is a little misleading. My tap water is the third image, and it has chloramines in it (municipal water Norfolk VA), which my tank depletes in less than 24hrs as seen in the first pic. My tap water also starts with 0 nitrates and by the time I do my water change the nitrates are around 0-10ppm.

The aging barrel PH pic is a bit misleading as they are almost identical at least in person (PH from my barrel to my tank after 24 hrs).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

With metro treatment, you are also getting rid of good bacteria, that’s likely causing the overnight spikes in water parameters.

Also, is there a reason you are treating all the fish vs. moving the sick ones to a hospital tank?
    Last edited by abijitr; 02-24-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    The pictures/ lighting is a little misleading. My tap water is the third image, and it has chloramines in it (municipal water Norfolk VA), which my tank depletes in less than 24hrs as seen in the first pic. My tap water also starts with 0 nitrates and by the time I do my water change the nitrates are around 0-10ppm.

The aging barrel PH pic is a bit misleading as they are almost identical at least in person (PH from my barrel to my tank after 24 hrs).
    Ok well the only thing I can say at this point is if you go by your tank results your showing 0 nitrates, I don't see your nitrates changing from tap to tank so somewhere you've lost your cycle and adding meds on top of bad water I can understand conditions becoming worse

Jeanne

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Shan, fish generally do not die this quickly from white poop issues so there is something else going on. Your tank test results appear to show measurable ammonia (should be yellow vs slightly green). Can you describe how you are aging your water and doing your water changes. Also lets do 50% water changes for now.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Shan, fish generally do not die this quickly from white poop issues so there is something else going on. Your tank test results appear to show measurable ammonia (should be yellow vs slightly green). Can you describe how you are aging your water and doing your water changes. Also lets do 50% water changes for now.
    Pat
    Thanks for the replies.

My water change routine is

-drain the tank after a good siphon and occasionally a wipe down. 90% drain fish almost on their sides.

-fill tank back up with aged 55 gallon plastic barrel water using 1 capful of prime and a pump. (dosing metro currently too)

-fill aging barrel up with tap water

-turn on heater, bubbler, and circulating pump in aging barrel for 24 hrs until use the next day.

I agree the ammonia looks alarming but I was told if I'm doing large water changes daily with prime, it would be okay until cycle fixed itself which I didn't think it was. Like if the metro dosing is doing the cycle trouble, it should be okay with prime and daily 90% water changes.

I'm worried if I reduce the water changes to 50 that some of the ammonia will become toxic due to lack of prime. Or should I do a 50% WC and add enough prime for the whole tank?
    Last edited by Shan_Evolved; 02-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Shan, are you using enough prime for the tank volume (to treat 55 gallons) when you do a water change? and adding the prime prior to starting the fill? Also are you down to one sponge filter for filtration?

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Shan, are you using enough prime for the tank volume (to treat 55 gallons) when you do a water change? and adding the prime prior to starting the fill? Also are you down to one sponge filter for filtration?
    I am using 1 full to the brim capful = 5ml of prime which I add into the aging barrel 5 minutes before I turn my pump on to deliver the water.

I replaced my cannister filter with a second sponge filter awhile ago

Real Name
    Pat

Shan, how much does 5ml treat? I am on well water so do not need a de-chlorinater. Super glad you added to extra sponge. So if we think we have measurable chlorine affecting the fish lets continue the 90% WCs and add prime to the tank every 12 hours.
    Pat

Real Name
    Shan

I know for a fact chlorine is in my tap water at a decent rate. I did a water change last week and I forgot to add prime and my fish withint 5 minutes starting darting around. I added the prime and within hours they returned back to normal .

Here is a dosage from seachem's site

Capture.PNG

I will continue to do daily 90% WC, however I am unable to add prime every 12h. It would have to be 8 hrs since I go to sleep 8 hrs after the water change. Should I still be redosing prime? I am adding metro for the second dose at 4 in the morning - 15 hrs after initial dose.

Thank you all for your feedback and I truly appreciate the help. Please tell me anything and everything I can do to save my fishies

Real Name
    Frank

1 capful treats 40g if I remember correctly. I would put 2 caps (I would do it in the tank vs the aging barrel).
    Having read further, especially in light of your strong chlorine presence.

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    1 capful treats 40g if I remember correctly. I would put 2 caps (I would do it in the tank vs the aging barrel).
    Having read further, especially in light of your strong chlorine presence.
    I will do 2 capfuls as I know its safe to overdose to an extent.

But why the tank directly? And how specifically? Put 1 cap while water halfway and another once its full?

Real Name
    Pat

Add it to the tank directly. Also 8 hours works fine for the daily second dose.
    Pat

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast