AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Seems to be getting worse, getting worried

Tammy....any suggestions for antibiotics?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Tammy....any suggestions for antibiotics?
    Nope, at this time I am watching. I am very curious why his tap water is showing a high ammonia reading. And how his fish are alive with that color green. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, in which case I would check everything again. I'm with Brian, i think he has a serious water issue going on.

Tammy

Real Name
    Shan

The tap water here has always had stupid chloramine in it. But with a cycled tank it would go away within 24h. Also I was under the assumption that prime would make it safe until my daily previous 90% wc
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    The tap water here has always had stupid chloramine in it. But with a cycled tank it would go away within 24h. Also I was under the assumption that prime would make it safe until my daily previous 90% wc
    Chloramines will not dissappate in 24hrs, it has to be chemically neutralized and to properly neutralize you have to treat the entire tank volume

Jeanne

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

If water and chloramine were the culprits, it would impact all the fishes. So, I am thinking that might be causing lack of appetite but something else is also going on that’s causing deaths.

Shan, my advice to you at this time is to stick with advice from 1 person. Brian asked me to take a look at your posts because he wanted a second opinion on what's going on. I agree with him that you have something with the water and he is very good with his information on it.

Something everyone needs to keep in mind. A fish can have white poop and stop eating due to stress alone. It is not always parasites or infection. Is it possible that he has an issue with parasites? Absolutely, especially if there is stress involved. Stress lowers the immune system of the fish allowing bacteria and parasites to make the fish sick, however if the cause isnt addressed first the medication is useless.

Tammy

Real Name
    Shan

High chloramines can cause all my fish to reject all foods? Why won't they eat T_T

High chloramines can cause all my fish to reject all foods? Why won't they eat T_T
    You need to go back and look at your own posts, you took out your canister which has most of your beneficial bacteria in it. Within 2 weeks you had fish with white poop. So what happened here? Poor water quality can lower the immune system of fish. Most fish carry parasitic protozoa (spironucleus vortens aka hexamita). Fish immune systems are able to keep this in check, however if something stresses the fish, (lower water quality) it lowers their immune system which allows protozoa to attack. You went out and got general cure. Ok that's good and you saw improvement. But why didnt it last? The original issue still exists and until it is resolved you will not see lasting results.
    Also a note, changes in water parameters can also lower immune system. If you make your own food I recommend adding vitamin C to the food to help boost immune health.
    I hope you find some of this helpful and truly hope you get to the bottom of your issues.

Tammy

Real Name
    Shan

Thank you so much Tammy. I am an open book and willing to fill my head with whatever I can. I love discus.

I noticed the fish with white poop days before I even considered taking out the cannister filter. Something I forgot to mention is that I actually took the filter out in combination with not only cleaning it out but noticing it have a slow leak that I just didn't want to risk ruining my second floor townhouse (but mostly because I felt it was trapping too much waste too fast.) I figured this would be okay and my sponges would catch up because of PRIME conditioner protection for 24h. (My thoughts were as long as im doing huge water changes and re adding prime, it would be okay. Someone told me that even if my tank isn't cycled, but im doing huge water changes, that it would have time to cycle.)

I am leaning towards the water chemistry being changed and getting higher chloramines. I will also continue talking with Brian about this and being patient. I'll post video updates of any noticeable changes but I am thankful to all of you of whom lent their knowledge out to help me.

Let's see what happens!

Real Name
    Francis

Do you have any test kits for chloramines?....Perhaps ask the the water department for the latest update .

chloramines test kits
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/insta...s-lamotte.html

Thank you so much Tammy. I am an open book and willing to fill my head with whatever I can. I love discus.

I noticed the fish with white poop days before I even considered taking out the cannister filter. Something I forgot to mention is that I actually took the filter out in combination with not only cleaning it out but noticing it have a slow leak that I just didn't want to risk ruining my second floor townhouse (but mostly because I felt it was trapping too much waste too fast.) I figured this would be okay and my sponges would catch up because of PRIME conditioner protection for 24h. (My thoughts were as long as im doing huge water changes and re adding prime, it would be okay. Someone told me that even if my tank isn't cycled, but im doing huge water changes, that it would have time to cycle.)

I am leaning towards the water chemistry being changed and getting higher chloramines. I will also continue talking with Brian about this and being patient. I'll post video updates of any noticeable changes but I am thankful to all of you of whom lent their knowledge out to help me.

Let's see what happens!
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-27-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Frank

Hi Shan, I take it yesterday things were still stabilizing? No new developments?

Real Name
    Shan

I am working closely with Brian on this and just wanted a quick update that with the recent changes and studying water we are still working on figuring out what exactly caused this.

However I have not lost a fish since my last dead fish post, even though they are still sick, especially 1 of them. They are still under medication until Sunday 3/1. Thank you all again so much for directing me towards Brian. Will update on major confirmed discoveries and/or changes

Real Name
    Shan

Some strange phenomenon going on. Since I've reduce the water changes from my tank from 90% daily to 30% past few days, I started to notice a PH lowering.

Local city water parameters show some interesting things. "Ph adjusted during water treatment process" What the hell does it mean. More details here -

https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCent...ty-Report-2019

I have been talking with Brian and Frank and I wish to add a tiny bit of baking soda to increase the buffering capacity since my KH is 2. (Tested with API kit)

I had multiple PH crashes when cycling the tank in December but fixed with crushed coral in my canister. Ive since taken the canister out but haven't noticed a weird PH change since I did daily 90% water changes until recently. Why is my PH dropping??

PH tests -

TAP - AGING BARREL - TANK WATER 3 days after 30% WC (metro + epsom salt everyday)

88015456_2659599604168117_7029693352706572288_n.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

When you were changing 90% you were effectively changing the old water with new. Now that you are changing 30% to cycle and stabilize the water, there is more opportunity for calcium hydroxide exchange out of the water. If I am right, the acidity of the water goes up.

Some strange phenomenon going on. Since I've reduce the water changes from my tank from 90% daily to 30% past few days, I started to notice a PH lowering.

Local city water parameters show some interesting things. "Ph adjusted during water treatment process" What the hell does it mean. More details here -

https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCent...ty-Report-2019

I have been talking with Brian and Frank and I wish to add a tiny bit of baking soda to increase the buffering capacity since my KH is 2. (Tested with API kit)

I had multiple PH crashes when cycling the tank in December but fixed with crushed coral in my canister. Ive since taken the canister out but haven't noticed a weird PH change since I did daily 90% water changes until recently. Why is my PH dropping??

PH tests -

TAP - AGING BARREL - TANK WATER 3 days after 30% WC (metro + epsom salt everyday)

88015456_2659599604168117_7029693352706572288_n.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

This water is all over the place! Frank, I agree with your short term solution to stabilize the ph using sodium bicarbonate. Shan and I discussed this a couple of days ago and I ultimately recommend a product like RO Rite (or whatever is produced these day) because of the trace minerals, but you are more familiar with the water supply in your area.

The open sore concerns me. Keep a very close eye on it and report if it spreads fast. I would isolate this fish ASAP if it does!

I'm not good enough to eyeball the ph by color, but I don't think it's crashed low enough to cause a burn with the water changes being performed.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast