ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Up-date on eggs

Default Up-date on eggs

When I candled the eggs along with Aprils help, I only tossed one egg. I candled them myself last Sunday and after the candling I tossed 5 Bielefelder and have 8 left, many of them are iffy. The Violet Orpingtons are much better. I tossed 3 and have 20 left, most of which are well developed.

I had no idea that hatching in an incubator for the first time would be stress inducing involve disappointment. I thought it was just, get fertile eggs, put them in the incubator and come back to live chicks in 3 weeks. There is so much that can go wrong in those 3 weeks. Even with real hens there will be some that don't hatch. I guess it's true of all animals, but it is pretty high in hen's eggs.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Up-date on eggs

The first chick just hatched! I was all set up for total failure because it's two days late, which is very late considering that the incubation period is just 21 days. Two other eggs appear to be starting to hatch but rather than a little hole with a chicken beak sticking out, all I see is a discharge. I need to calm my nerves. I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

That's awesome good luck! I live in WV and lots of people here keep chickens in comparison to a lot of other places (including my neighbor) and everyone talks about how rewarding raising chicks is.

Im sure there's trial and error like anything but I haven't tried for myself yet.

They're not difficult like Discus. And you have no idea the joy it brings just watching them do their chicken things. Of course they can always send you into depression like any other type of pet. I was worried, and almost positive, that none of these expensive fertile eggs would hatch. Two days late (now 3) is unusual.

This morning I have 2 male Bielefelder's and 1 female with two more eggs hatching as I type. No Lavender Orpingtons so far.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Good to hear they are beginning to hatch!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

How are the chicks? When do the new ones arrive? You know we want some pics of course.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Only 3 hatched, Barb. It wasn't the fault of the eggs. It was my first time incubating and I obviously did something wrong. My day old Bielefelders should be shipping sometime this week. They'll send notification when they ship.
    Mama Bear