AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: First fry ?

Registered Member

Default First fry ?

I am a novice to say the least when comes to discus. I have a young pair that spawned and now have free swimming fry. There are only 5 fry. They are not swimming with the parents like I expected. They are on the bottom of the tank and then go up to the sponge filter. Is this normal or should I do something different.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: First fry ?

Hi D,
    Congratulations on you successful spawn! You now know you have a confirmed pair. You've called yourself a novice, so here goes.
    You said a young pair. Then 9-12 months maybe? Usually not younger than that. But not very "experienced" yet.
    If there are only 5 left, it's not going to be worth your effort or the parent's effort to try to raise them. Hanging out on the bottom usually means they're not very strong or have a problem. They will likely disappear into the tank's "circle of life" soon. The parents usually don't bother with that few.
    I don't know what your setup is, but if you want to raise fry, it's best to have the parents in a separate tank, not too big, so you can change water and more easily control conditions. If you have a successful spawn, getting the fry to attach is a combination of healthy parents, experience on the part of the parents, and good water and tank conditions. You then have to raise baby brine shrimp (BBS) for the fry to eat, too. Eventually the fry would need a tank with room for them to grow. Growing out nice fry requires lots of water changes, usually daily.
    Hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, but just giving you an idea of what's involved.
    You might just choose to enjoy whatever happens.
    Steve

Registered Member

Default Re: First fry ?

Thanks for the information you stated exactly what I had assumed. These parents are only approx 12 months old. They have laid eggs in the past but are the first that they did not eat. They laid on the small plastic cap on the bottom of the heater. There were only a small amount of eggs and only 10-12 hatched.
    As for my set up I have the pair in a 20 gall tall tank. I do daily water changes on all my tanks. Looking forward to more spawns in the future.