ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food for Discus with NO color enhancer

Default Re: Food for Discus with NO color enhancer

I feed mine nori seaweed and they love it, just put some on a vegi clip and drop it in the tank

Jeanne

Real Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by NC122606 View Post
    I know nothing about making the beef heart. (:
    You can buy frozen beefheart at most chain pet stores and on line. For the latter, just google "frozen beefheart."

Registered Member
    Real Name

Thanks everyone...
    Here is the list so far, anyone wanna add anything?

1. Freeze-Dried Blackworms
    2. Frozen Bloodworm (or Freeze-Dried)
    3. Seaweed
    4. Beefheart

Do you guys think I can provide a staple diet with this? I’m not so sure.

Registered Member

Al also sells some pellet food imported from Germany that I don't think are red or color enhancing.. please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can also feed fresh food like red wiggler worms or blanched spinach etc. But yes I think you can with what's listed. Brine shrimp, mysis (sp?) shrimp, krill and other frozen foods if prepared correctly should add to the diet if you would like.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Thank you so much!!!

Ok so I went on the website (didn’t even know pellets for this existed!!!)

Made with 20% Australian Blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus), Fish and Fish Derivatives,molluscs,crustaceans,yeast,minerals,ve getables, and vitamins in a small sinking pellets(1-2mm)

Seems fine unless you see something that enhances red.

Ok so here is what I have

1. Freeze Dried Black Worms
    2. Frozen Bloodworms
    3. Seaweed
    4. Beefheart (maybe like once 2 months?)
    5. Australian Blackworm Pellets (1-2mm)
    6. Red Wigglers
    7. Blanched Spinach (Haven’t bears of this)
    8. Tubiflex worms (Seems like a bad choice unless the Hikari brand is safe but...)
    9. White worms (haven’t heard of these before, safe?)
    10. Earthworms (Maybe)
    11. Very very light supplement of brineshrimp.

Anyone who has critique for this list please leave your opinions in the comments! That’s what I am here for, your knowledge!

Real Name
    Mervin

If you don't want color enhancers just stay away from anything with crustaceans like shrimp, kill, brine shrimp, ect. Salmon skins and spirulina will also enhance color. Or if you see astaxanthin in the ingredients.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Thanks,

Do you see a problem with the pellets? I see Molluscs and Crustaceans but they are unnamed. I’m not sure of any other pellets that would work beside these.

Real Name
    Francis

Nori powder (seaweed) from Forrest.....I add them to my homemade chicken breasts mixture.

Thanks everyone...
    Here is the list so far, anyone wanna add anything?

2. Frozen Bloodworm (or Freeze-Dried)
    3. Seaweed
    4. Beefheart

Do you guys think I can provide a staple diet with this? I’m not so sure.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thanks,

Do you see a problem with the pellets? I see Molluscs and Crustaceans but they are unnamed. I’m not sure of any other pellets that would work beside these.
    one of the reddest shade animals around are flamingos. Their color is a product of what the eat. In the wild, flamingos eat algae, crustaceans, brine shrimp, diatoms, and aquatic plants. At the zoo, a special “flamingo fare” is served. To preserve their rosy color at the zoo, flamingos are fed a commercially prepared diet high in carotenoids.Stay away from anything carotenoid in nature. Plant and algae based foods.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Got it, peewee1 thanks for all your help! As well as all of you who have contributed so far...
    So I learned that prepared fish foods are not the best choice for me, I am talking in terms of flakes and pellets.

2. Frozen Bloodworms
    3. Red Wigglers
    4. Earthworms
    +. Beefheart (MAYBE) (Not really counting it.)

I decided to remove the following...
    1. Seaweed (spirulina)
    2. Freeze-Dried Blackworms with Spinach (spirulina)
    3. Tubiflex (Dangerous)
    4. Whiteworms (No)
    5. Brine Shrimp

I believe these 4 options are the safest options I can do...
    I am thinking that I can provide a staple diet with these. Also please let me know if Freeze-Dried Blackworms with Spinach is ok to work with this.

I think that Freeze-Dried Blackworms would be my main food to feed throughout the weeks, bloodworms maybe every other day or every three days. Earthworms and Red Wigglers will act as the "treat" which I will feed probably once a week or 2 weeks.

Really what I want to know is these 3 questions

1. Can I provide a staple diet with these foods? (Please provide a schedule on how I should feed.)
    2. Can I feed Freeze-Dried Blackworms with Spinach? Or does this have color enhancers?
    3. Does any of the food that I have listed in keep have enhancers?

Thank you all so much! I cannot express in words how thankful I am for your guys to be helping me out!

Registered Member

Got it, peewee1 thanks for all your help! As well as all of you who have contributed so far...
    So I learned that prepared fish foods are not the best choice for me, I am talking in terms of flakes and pellets.

2. Frozen Bloodworms
    3. Red Wigglers
    4. Earthworms
    +. Beefheart (MAYBE) (Not really counting it.)

I decided to remove the following...
    1. Seaweed (spirulina)
    2. Freeze-Dried Blackworms with Spinach (spirulina)
    3. Tubiflex (Dangerous)
    4. Whiteworms (No)
    5. Brine Shrimp

I believe these 4 options are the safest options I can do...
    I am thinking that I can provide a staple diet with these. Also please let me know if Freeze-Dried Blackworms with Spinach is ok to work with this.

I think that Freeze-Dried Blackworms would be my main food to feed throughout the weeks, bloodworms maybe every other day or every three days. Earthworms and Red Wigglers will act as the "treat" which I will feed probably once a week or 2 weeks.

Really what I want to know is these 3 questions

1. Can I provide a staple diet with these foods? (Please provide a schedule on how I should feed.)
    2. Can I feed Freeze-Dried Blackworms with Spinach? Or does this have color enhancers?
    3. Does any of the food that I have listed in keep have enhancers?

Thank you all so much! I cannot express in words how thankful I am for your guys to be helping me out!
    aquaticsuppliers@comcast.net you would want to email Al with the questions about his FDBW with or without spinach. I suspcect that most foods have color enhancers because most are advertised with that in mind. In the wild, discus fish feed primarily on zooplankton and other small aquatic organisms like insects and invertebrates. The spinach would be a good diet choice because of its nutritional benefits for both fish and humans alike.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Agreed, sent Al an email and will post the response here.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Update: (Accidentally Deleted it...)

Here is Al's email, (Very quick response by the way!)

"Generally, the amounts of color pigments in the spinach in the blackworm mix is low, but spinach does have orange pigments naturally occurring, most plants do. It would probably be safe to use the spinach combo from time to time, but each yellow fish is going to be different depending on its genetics and there's no real understanding of how much would be too much for yellow discus. Most would be best to use the original as their main feed.

The question is also hard to answer without knowing what else you will be feeding as color in the diet is additive. What other foods will you be using?"

Here is my response,

"Thanks for the quick response, the other foods I have selected from users on SimplyDiscus are, your Freeze-Dried Blackworms, Frozen Bloodworms, Red Wigglers, and Earthworms. I am looking to provide a staple diet with the bloodworms and blackworms; Red Wigglers and Earthworms will be more of a treat if you know what I mean. So I think that feeding Blackworms, Blackworms with Spinach, and Frozen Bloodworms will give me a good staple diet, also including the "snacks"."

I will update you with a response soon!

Real Name
    Steve

Sounds like a plan. I use the original FDBW and Al's discus pellets for variety with my whites and yellows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12