ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Quarantine fish from Hans?

Registered Member

Default Quarantine fish from Hans?

Do you guys quarantine your Hans shipments still or do you trust his fish are clean/healthy? I know the best practice is quarantine from anywhere and everywhere but in reality, do some of you skip that step with Hans fish?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Quarantine fish from Hans?

I would never skip QT from any source including repeat purchases from the same source.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

For me there is no exception to this rule. I QT all fish that come into my home.

Real Name
    Shan

When you guys quarantine, do you follow the procedure on this site which says use metro and proziq?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Brian

Real Name
    Willie

I do not treat unless there are clear disease symptoms. However, all new discus are quarantined for a minimum of six weeks.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I treated my discus for wormw when they came in but that was it. I don't nornally treat unless I see something wrong. When I first got my discus didn't see Al's post. Now that I've read it I'll more than likely use his method.

I don't treat unless I see symptoms either.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by planter View Post
    I treated my discus for wormw when they came in but that was it. I don't nornally treat unless I see something wrong. When I first got my discus didn't see Al's post. Now that I've read it I'll more than likely use his method.
    I never did either, but Al's the best and I don't question his methods

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Do you guys quarantine your Hans shipments still or do you trust his fish are clean/healthy? I know the best practice is quarantine from anywhere and everywhere but in reality, do some of you skip that step with Hans fish?

Honestly, I only buy from Kenny, my assumption was because he quarantines his shipment that I did not need to do it again. So I don't and have had no problems as a result. With that said, I might have been lucky so far. I come from a different time and place with Discus. I began breeding with stock that I purchased years ago from Herman Chan and an Axelrod book. Twenty gallon tanks feeding those fish my own blend of beef heart. No water test kit and enough peat moss in the filters to get the tap water the color of tea. I left the hobby and then came back when a long time discus and angle fish breeder gave me a tank and said unto me, go forth my son and get ye some fish from Kenny and begin anew. This will horrify you, if you are still with me on this. Three days before my order arrived I filled the tank with tap water, heated it to the setting that was on the heater that the breeder gave me, and waited for the fish to arrive. Two years pass. Three of the first five are alive and trying to spawn. I added three more six months ago direct from Kenny to the tank. All are well. Two of the newbies have doubled in size and one runt but I think that because he/she is a Heckle that the growth rate will be slower than the other hybrids. Everything I do is completely adverse to what is recommended but I too think that some of these procedures and concerns is evolved in to excessive caution as we move forward. One thing that I have added since I revived my fish keeping is water changes. I do 15% a day, or about 100% per week. Tap water with Prime added. No more beef heart. I now like to blend FDBW bio pigment plus with TetraColor and Bug Bites. Sometimes frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Obvious my fish will tend red in color, even the yellow and blue ones.