AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bigger tank - how to convince my wife

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Bigger tank - how to convince my wife

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    So after months of waiting the new tank has arrived. My wife limited an area of our den that could only fit a 3 foot long tank. So now I have a 3 foot cube - 1 inch acrylic. Just added the sand and water and now will wait a few weeks before I transfer.

I'll be moving my 8 jumbo discus plus the corys and the plecos. My question to those with large tanks - how often and how much of a water change routine should I need to keep them happy. I grew them up with 80% every other day but I hope I can dramatically reduce the size and frequency.
    Filtration is via a tank length All In One Sump system and I have an Algae turf scrubber.
    Congrats on the new tank Andy, it depends on your stocking density. In my 230 with 12 discus I generally do two 40/50% WCs a week.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats on the tank!!! Because of the shape I guess you’ll have to wait an see. Start by doing 2-3 water changes of 50% than stretch it out and see how the fish react. I have 2 that get pimples when unhappy with water. I’ve got a 125 and do 50% 3 times a week. Had a 200 years ago and only did 40% weekly. But fish do seem better with more new water. Good luck with new tank! Hope MTS doesn’t take hold! It’s very hard to shake. As I look into a 165. For me I like longer tanks than deeper.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Congrats on the new tank Andy, it depends on your stocking density. In my 230 with 12 discus I generally do two 40/50% WCs a week.
    Pat
    Thanks for the advice. I'll start with twice a week and see where things land. I'm sticking with 8 and hopefully I'm over the "Just one more" whenever a vendor posts their monthly list. (for now, anyway)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I always just tell my wife I got the tank for a good deal and it will be the last. I am sure it will stop working eventually, I am six tanks deep at the moment.

Congrats on the new tank! Look forward to seeing pictures.

After all this fuss, can we finally see the tank?

By the way, IF I had to respond all over again (the first time), I'd plead with you to be transparent on "the balance of leverage". Meaning, being completely honest as to what wants she's bought/done and what yours have been. Doesn't matter if you're a surgeon, pastor, burger flipper, etc... (same with her)... if you have several $100k cars, a red mahogany desk, a pair of Jordans for every year, and your wanting a big *** tank that she knows you can't maintain because you haven't discovered submersible pumps and cheap tubing yet to prevent spills, then I would've sided with her. If vice versa then sided with you. OR, if she has no hobbies or guilty pleasures yet within reason (subjective) you have a good time with discus and it's not a sore eye for her (you have fish room out of sight of house guests), then I'm with you.

Alright... pics please!
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Why do you think logic would work. My wife is not a Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Why do you think logic would work. My wife is not a Vulcan
    Lol... touché
    -Elliot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234