ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Recycling water

Default Recycling water

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Please excuse my ignorance here, but I'm wondering if it's possible to totally recycle this constant water I'm wasting with WCs!

I'm currently changing out around 1500L per day across all tanks. Considering we're usually doing a WC primarily to remove nitrates, I can of course then remove nitrates and "re-prepare " this water once drained.

Am I missing something here regarding other properties of "spent" water, or could this actually be achieved?

I would propose a full plant growout area with multiple slow flow nitrate remove media canisters, then through carbon>prep water barrels>temp and pH prep>ready for WC

Might just be a lovely dream, but dreams are free right!

Appreciate any insights

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Recycling water

How are you going to remove DOC and TDS. I would think you'd need some sort of RO system. Used water also gets depleted in some elements.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

You are describing the rudiments of a water treatment facility. I was interested in doing the same thing to at least lower the water requirements but the complexity of trying to figure out what the best triggering parameter/parameters for water changes should be(if not Nitrates) is worrisome. There are a few folks out there that use either bacterial or plant nitrate extraction with reduced water changes with good results but I cannot differentiate what predicts success from what I have read. Should it be TDS, EC, ORP, something else? Maybe something in combination with Gh, Ph, Kh. Also what gets taken out of the water over a period of time needs to be addressed, as well as what gets concentrated over time due evaporation. Seems to me if you really want to reuse some of your wastewater, run it through a RODI, mix what you recover with tap or use an ion additive and send the waste water from your filter to your tomatoes.

Have you ever read a water quality report? My question is if dilution isn't the answer how many of the parameters that they follow should we?
    https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dep/down...ity-report.pdf

If you do try this please document, would be nice to achieve the kind of steady state with minimal water changes that some reefers do. After looking hard,other than a few small tweaks, I'm not willing to undergo the risks to try. If you do though I wish you luck and hope for your success.

Thanks, very good points. I'm sure it can be done, but it seems like quite the hassle and investment to figure it out, let alone the testing equipment that would be required.

I think I'm going to stick with removing nitrates on a secondary IO line to reduce water changes in non breed/growout tanks and that should at least save quite a bit of water over time.

Perhaps once setup and running, I'll post a reply here with my findings.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Mervin

It can be done. But not in the home environment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    It can be done. But not in the home environment yet.

Do you know of any case studies or examples? I have quite a bit of land

Real Name
    Mervin

I saw one not long ago here on SD of a hatchery reusing water. You'll need lots of money for this one.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ2T9OJY1lg

The ISS! Yes, I can only imagine the cost involved in their water treatment! I may just end up reusing the water for other purposes such as plants, veges etc. I'm just trying to avoid wasting