ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: I didn't think this would happen so soon!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Default I didn't think this would happen so soon!

I just got done feeding flake this morning (you can see it in the water), and noticed this on my filter! Red Cover by Red Heckel Cross. I've had these fish for a week! I assumed I was getting juveniles that would need at least 6 more months of maturation.

This is in a group tank with the four other discus I got in my recent order from Kenny. Feeding Al's FDBW, a variety of flakes, and Hikari frozen bloodworms. Daily 50% water changed w/ aged local water 7.5pH and hard as nails (over 300 TDS). I have no special plans other than to give them a tank divider for now. I'll consider this is a trial run to see how their eggs do in my local water. I'm going to have to get a different setup for water aging to make room for more tanks. A lot exciting, a little stressful! spawn1cropped.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: I didn't think this would happen so soon!

Nice ! A well grown cichlid can start to breed at 4 months ..
    It is not as un common as many think but with the exception of discus keepers few meet their fishes true needs to ever see it .
    Congrats on doing a good job pleasing your fish and Kudos to Kenny for raising strong ,healthy fish .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Default Re: I didn't think this would happen so soon!

Aaand now the eggs are all gone. I guess they got eaten since I don't see any wrigglers. :-(