AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Drop checker

Registered Member

Default Drop checker

Is a drop checker the best way to monitor co2 levels?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Drop checker

I would and did use a CO2 controller ..They can prevent EOTD[End Of Tank Dump] ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I use a controller and a drop checker. The drop checker is there in the event I run out of co2 I will know without having to check the co2 tank under the stand that there is no longer any co2 in my cylinder. All a drop checker does is indicate that there is or isn't co2 in the water. a controller is far more accurate and much safer for the fish.

using a drop checker is better than nothing but personally I rely mainly on the controller and visual inspections much more than the drop checker

Registered Member

I was curious how accurate a controller can be. Doesn’t it take up to 2 hours for co2 levels to register? (At least I think it takes that long with a drop checker) That being said, wouldn’t the controller be trying to adjust for a condition 2 hours down the road??

This is under the assumption that the controller is using co2 to adjust the ph

Thanks for taking the time for my noob questions.

Registered Member

The controller is set too coming on 1-2 hrs. before the lights come on Ed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

a properly calibrated probe will give you a accurate ph reading in about 10 seconds. The controller will keep your ph range throughout the day or night at the same level.

For example if you set the ph controller to at a ph level of 7. you will also have to set the range of the controller to operate in. So if you set the range a .5 then your co2 will turn on when the ph get to 7.5 and then shut off at the ph at 6.5. day or night.

You will need a solenoid on your co2 regulator to make this all work the solenoid is plugged into the controller.

I hope this helps

Registered Member

I really wanna try a controller/solenoid setup. Are there any decent systems that aren’t crazy expensive?