ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Reconstituted RO water

Registered Member

Default Reconstituted RO water

I hear a lot of people mention reconstituting ro water.
    Is there a standard procedure for doing this?
    I have been mixing tap water with ro to add minerals back in. Is this the most common way?
    I also read about a type of discus buffer. Would this be better than using tap water?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Reconstituted RO water

If your tap water doesn't have nitrates or other negatives, then yes, adding back a bit of tap is common. Always depends on what's in your tap. I think discus buffers are trying to add back some KH, carbonate, which helps stabilize pH, but that's often what's in hard tap water. I think all animals need some sodium, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, the basic electrolyte elements. But how much varies.

Registered Member

My tap has roughly 20 nitrates and a ph of 7.8 or so. This is why I started using ro with some tap mixed in. It has helped with lowering ph and obviously the nitrates.
    I was just curious if there was another way besides adding those nitrates from my tap. Just trying to be as consistent as possible.
    Thanks for the tips

Real Name
    Willie

I hasten to point out that discus grow in the Amazon, where the water is incredibly soft - which means it contains no dissolved minerals. I've raised discus suscessfully on 100% R/O water for four years when we ran into water quality problems due to new piping. Products like R/O Right have no proof that they do anything. If you taste it, it's mostly table salt.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Willie, is there a big risk as far as ph crashing doing 100% ro water? That’s basically eliminating kh and gh correct??

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Boring View Post
    Willie, is there a big risk as far as ph crashing doing 100% ro water? That’s basically eliminating kh and gh correct??
    Yes, that's a good point. I've not had a pH crash, even though I was only doing 100% once a week back then. However, I did not overstock my tank. If there is a concern, I'd do a 80/20 mix with tap water. Alternatively, stick some crush corals in the filter for buffering. Adding chemicals is, in my experience, a recipe for disaster.

A long time ago, I kept Heckels in 100% R/O water at pH 5 and did have a pH crash. None of the discus showed any symptoms, but the cories got toasted!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I've did the same as you for years without pH crashes. It shouldn't have worked, but it did.
    Mama Bear