ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Golden Pearls

Default Golden Pearls

I have fallen in love with them. The tiniest ones rock for weaning tiny Rams. The larger ones are great food for adult Rams. I'm also feeding them to my other fish with small mouths like the Rainbows, my Pearl Gourami's and my deep red Platty's. They're expensive as all get-go but they last a long time. Once I get hooked an a food like I am with these, the cost is secondary.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Golden Pearls

I think they are more affordable on Kensfish..
    Brine shrimp direct doesn't even send you the size you buy half the time , they just change the label ..And then charge you shipping on top of it !
    I had a jar of "1,000micron" and when I got half way down into it I found magic marker under the label sayin 800 ! I now only buy my BS eggs from them as there just isn't a better choice for that .
    Pretty funny they were too stupid to think anyone would ever see it from the other side of a clear container once they put their 1,000 micron label over it !
    I too love golden pearls and keep every size besides under 100 micron and all my fish eat them ..
    My swordtails will eat the 100 micron all day even as full grown adults ..They are some efficient eaters !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

You told me Kens fish had the best price. They sure do. I just compared. From Ken's there not expensive at all. I just ordered their 800 micron. I'm hoping the adult Discus will take them. If not, something else I have will find them tasty.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fred

I've been using them for my discus fry. Love them
    . Yes they are expensive, but worth it in my eyes.

Fred

Registered Member

What would be the size of the pellets for large discus, 4" to 6-1/2" size?
    Jay

Real Name
    Tom

1000 micron if you can get them .That is the largest I have seen and is equal to 1mm .
    Got rams ?

I found out the hard way that they ignore the 800. Somebody else will eat them. I'll go searching for the 1 mm. I have decided that they are the best fish food I have ever found. Even my Mystery Snails grow bigger faster on them. I have a couple in my 20 with my baby rams, and they are growing fast have great deep magenta color.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I keep call Ken's and they never pick up the phone or return my call. How does everyone else communicate with them to order?

Thanks,

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by brookgl View Post
    I keep call Ken's and they never pick up the phone or return my call. How does everyone else communicate with them to order?

Thanks,
    I order on line and being the next state over from him usually get my stuff in 2-4 days .If I order on Friday I get my stuff on Monday as they ship it Saturday ..
    I always order $50+ worth of stuff [they have more then food for decent prices ] and get free ground delivery ..I know it is not that fast for everyone else but still reasonable ..
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Bud Smith

Great food for fry. I have been working on getting older discus fry to eat various foods. First time I fed the golden pearls they loved it. Tom put me onto getting them from Kens. Excellent price and took about 3 or 4 days to get them in Ohio. I just order online.
    Bud

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

What are the appropriate sizes for baby rams and adult rams? Do the babies eat them from day 1 of free swimming?

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    What are the appropriate sizes for baby rams and adult rams? Do the babies eat them from day 1 of free swimming?
    I feed 50 -100 micron to fry for first 2-3 weeks with baby brine shrimp hatched fresh everyday.
    The 50-100 micron is suitable size for ram fry but sometimes they need to see the movement live food provides .
    Mixing the two together "trick trains " them to eat prepared food .
    I increase GP size by 100 micron after 3-4 weeks so next would be 200 micron ,then 300.
    I have all the way from 50-100 micron to 1,000 micron with is basically 1mm pellet food .
    The unique behavior of golden pearls " most buoyant prepared food ' means that it floats in the water current helping trick the fry into seeing motion .
    It is also a 'high protein ' food which IMO is what rams need .
    Got rams ?