AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Money needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Default Money needed ===> research "Plague"

Dear Discus friends,

I need your help. In the last 3 ~ 4 months after we went through the disaster in our fish house I came in contact with Drs. Roy Yanong and Thomas Waltzek from the University in Florida. They tested our Discus that had problems and helped me get through the ordeal.

In conversations they told me they are working on a project to determine the cause(s) of “Discus plague.” However, to finish these tests money is needed. As you all should know by now I'm not in the position to finance this as much as I would like to.

Now don't put your hope yet that they can come up with a cure, it's still far from that. Although they are working on publishing this work, they can offer a diagnostic test that can determine within 24 ~ 48 hours if a Discus has the plague.

Hans.
    Last edited by Discus-Hans; 06-06-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Default Re: Money needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hans,

I know some people here in the metroplex that could really benefit from this research!

Seriously though - how do we contribute?

Thanks,
    -jim

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    Hans,

I know some people here the metroplex that could really benefit from this research!

Seriously though - how do we contribute?

Thanks,
    -jim
    Jim, I don't know yet, I hope they can set up a Paypal account or something.
    I don't want any cash or Paypal to go trough me, if somebody wants to send a check, I can send it trough, but NEVER put it in my name, put it in University of Florida, with as note, let's say: Discus Plague and I will take care this check comes at the right place.

What really surprised me, this post has 35 hits and only your reaction. When I heard about this, I was blown away. This to me is as the invention of the wheel, look at the amount of Discus (and money) lost by people over the last 30 years?

The change to know after all these years to get the "prove" what it is............... to me it's like ????????

All the things that have been done for say Koi and for our Discus we still, after more as 30 years we are still discussing here, is it this, do that, maybe it's this..... the change to know what it is and God knows what we can do against/prevent it................ for me it's .................. ??????
    35 hits.............. people do you know what's happening here?????? What changes we have here now we finally found some one with the possibilities to look in this for REAL?????

Hans
    Last edited by Discus-Hans; 06-06-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Real Name
    Rick

Mutated version of KHV? How do we donate?

Rick

As a newbie to Discus I am learning something new everyday.... and if i can contribute to a cause to educate more people count me in!!!

Great idea Hans to donate to something that important thats been bothering all discus keepers for years , let us know how we can contribute i will be glad to help
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Sheesh hans do you ever sleep?

You just get that info up and ill donate to that cause.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Thanks for the post Hans, I"m right down the road from UF, I'm also an alumni......I will contact them directly and see what I can do to help out.
    Mark

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    Thanks for the post Hans, I"m right down the road from UF, I'm also an alumni......I will contact them directly and see what I can do to help out.
    Great Mark, I hope we don't let slip this change we have here,

Hans

Hans, are you saying that the disaster at your fishhouse was discussion plague? -Don

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I think a Paypal setup would be the easiest way to get people to contribute. Would certainly be important knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Hans, are you saying that the disaster at your fishhouse was discussion plague? -Don

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Discus plague. Jeez, stupid smart phone! What I want to know is, did you get a definitive ID on what took out your fish? -Don

Registered Member

If Roy and Debbie think they might be onto something in regards to the discus plague, then by all means EVERYONE should be on board. If there is anyone in this industry who can help, it would be those 2. I know this from my own personal experience working with them at UF TAL that they are the real deal.

Hans, I would say the simplest method would indeed be a PayPal account.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Discus plague. Jeez, stupid smart phone! What I want to know is, did you get a definitive ID on what took out your fish? -Don
    Don, at first what ever it was, it didn't took out my Discus, we took out the Discus to prevent spreading of what ever it was at that point.

Last week I got the confirmation, they found a virus in the Discus we send them before we euthanized the rest on March 13th. Where did it come from? No idea so far. None of Stendker's or Hudson's other customers have problems like this at all.

Is the virus the plague? maybe, probably. But that's why there is money needed, to do more tests on Discus infected with the "plague" from other people, to see if the same virus is there. Those virus test and the tests that need to be done before testing on the virus, are expensive.

Hans

Real Name
    Rick

Viral, thats not good...not good at all.

Rick

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast