AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any threats to fish shipments?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Are there any threats to fish shipments?

I was just wondering if there's been any discussion of the virus containment measures affecting the ability to ship live fish. Specifically Asian importers, but I suppose from anywhere.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Are there any threats to fish shipments?

The virus cannot survive for long on surfaces. CDC estimates its maximum survival time is 24 hours. It takes 36+ hours to get fish from Kuala Lumpur to the West Coast.

Of course, the same cannot be said for Europe. It's only an 8-hour flight from Amsterdam to the Midwest.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Until this is over it might be wise to avoid international shipments. At this time holding shipments, delayed or last minute flight changes are a real possibility. Not the best climate to be shipping live animals

I don't have a dog in this fight, but do we know how long it can survive in the shipping water? Just curious.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

It's an airborne disease the shipping water would not be a threat. Airborne diseases will survive on surfaces for a period of time and that time can vary. A contaminated sneeze on a shipping box or a delivery person, warehouse worker etc could pass it on the item itself.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

My concern would be if the international airlines are actually flying into the US.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    My concern would be if the international airlines are actually flying into the US.
    Pat
    So, isn't that how Kenny get's his fish, for instance?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It is not a true airborne disease. It will spread through particles sneezed or coughed, but the virus will not stay suspended in the air. It is considered a "contact" precaution. On the news 2 nights ago I saw a report that lab testing confirmed it could survive up to 72 hours on surfaces in a wide range of temps and humidity levels.

Real Name
    Brian

The ban is on people, not commodities. Hans just received a shipment yesterday...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The virus cannot survive for long on surfaces. CDC estimates its maximum survival time is 24 hours. It takes 36+ hours to get fish from Kuala Lumpur to the West Coast.

Of course, the same cannot be said for Europe. It's only an 8-hour flight from Amsterdam to the Midwest.
    Continue. The shipment arrives in the US. The product is packed for reshipment one week later. At repackaging the packer sneezes on the box. The UPS package handler sneezes on the box while loading the plane. The UPS package handler sneezes on the package 5 hours later as he/she unloads the plane. Three hours later the UPS deliver driver sneezes on the package one hour before he/she delivers the package to you. In other works you will not be able to avoid the virus at any point in time. Wear gloves and a mask when you accept your shipment and during unpacking then throw the packing box away and then remove your mask and gloves.

Where I work, Willie, a sanitation crew visits twice a day. They disinfect everything. I would not be worried about the fish coming from anywhere else but only your local deliver service.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    The ban is on people, not commodities. Hans just received a shipment yesterday...
    Prob his last shipment from Europe until the new European travel ban lifts I'd say...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Actually the virus can survive up to 3 days on some surfaces. In addition the question about water contamination is reasonable. Much like all the folks above who sneezed on the package, whoever bagged the fish may have sneezed/actually more likely a cough as covid does not cause much nasal irritation/into the bag and aquarium water has no antiviral properties. Gloves makes sense when handling a delivery but why a mask? Masks other than N-95 work when sick folks wear them and N-95 only work if worn appropriately, replaced every 8 hours, and removed without self contamination. Most studies show minimal benefit of wearing either a surgical or N-95 mask unless you put them on sick people.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    So, isn't that how Kenny get's his fish, for instance?
    Good question for Kenny Steve. My concern is if you ban entry into the US of people from several counties and airlines may not have the passenger numbers to make the flight worthwhile. I think airlines make their money on passenger counts vs cargo.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

The fish will be alright as long as they have toilet paper.
    Jay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Good question for Kenny Steve. My concern is if you ban entry into the US of people from several counties and airlines may not have the passenger numbers to make the flight worthwhile. I think airlines make their money on passenger counts vs cargo.
    Pat
    UPS, Cathay Air Cargo, Lufthansa Cargo, FedEx, etc planes are flying without schedule interruption. Cargo may backlog at airports if that which was destine to be sent by commercial air was diverted to cargo air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast