ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Pegnang Eruption and Red Albino breeding, are their strain compatible?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Pegnang Eruption and Red Albino breeding, are their strain compatible?

So I got a new pair, was wonsering if Pegnang Eruption and Red Albino are compatible for the frys to look good. Any thoughts? https://youtu.be/iAASdx_h3P8

Default Re: Pegnang Eruption and Red Albino breeding, are their strain compatible?

I would not recommend that cross.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Default Re: Pegnang Eruption and Red Albino breeding, are their strain compatible?

Yeah, I wouldn't either, since the red albino is pigeon based, and the penang eruption isn't, so the fry will likely come out heavily peppered.

I would say to only do this breeding if you have a desire for a specific type of fish after several generations. If all you want to do is see if you can breed Discus, then go for it. All the hard work is in grow out so be prepared.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't either, since the red albino is pigeon based, and the penang eruption isn't, so the fry will likely come out heavily peppered.
    But red albino doesn't have pigeon blood.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

My red albino's can from the same retail source and we're not PB, but, they didn't look like yours. Mine had 0 black anywhere, not on body, not in fins, but yours does seem to have black in the fins...
    Here are mine when I bought them, and after the red faded out 6 months after I purchased them. These are the same 2 fish, scouts honor, lol.

20181020_222729.jpg
    IMG_20190809_165815.jpg
    MVIMG_20190809_165520.jpg

I believe the Malaysian supplier heavily color fed them and over time the red faded as o did not color feed d/t having solid yellow discus as well...

Whether Dennis sourced the one you bought from the same Asian farm or not I cannot answer. If yours is indeed PB, then as Liz and Johnny said, the cross is no bueno, except for practice

I don't imagine your Red Albino is Brown based is it? It's much more likely to be PB based. I stick with what I said before. If you just want to breed them, do it. Otherwise there are better crosses to start with.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    My red albino's can from the same retail source and we're not PB, but, they didn't look like yours. Mine had 0 black anywhere, not on body, not in fins, but yours does seem to have black in the fins...
    Here are mine when I bought them, and after the red faded out 6 months after I purchased them. These are the same 2 fish, scouts honor, lol.

20181020_222729.jpg
    IMG_20190809_165815.jpg
    MVIMG_20190809_165520.jpg

I believe the Malaysian supplier heavily color fed them and over time the red faded as o did not color feed d/t having solid yellow discus as well...

Whether Dennis sourced the one you bought from the same Asian farm or not I cannot answer. If yours is indeed PB, then as Liz and Johnny said, the cross is no bueno, except for practice
    89722029_2575592429230687_6158389606703169536_n.jpg90036251_222286055638261_8976420101758648320_n.jpg
    well i got him from dennis but know for a fact he does not have any peppering anywhere on the body, plus i had him for a few months so I know it is Red Albino and have not trace of pb.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If you want to know for sure then ask Dennis, he will know.

PB is not a negative in of itself, they have developed very clean PB strains in recent years, it just doesn't cross well with non-PB strains...