AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Discus Going Dark

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: One Discus Going Dark

Correct on the salt. I'm no sump expert, but I wonder if something's going on there? If you see further decline in the main tank, I would suspect that but maybe others could help in that area.

It's not common in my experience to have such large fish bullying each other to the point of causing this much stress unless it's breeding related. I recently placed a non productive pair back in the main tank and the male beat the crap out of all the others so I'm dealing with a similar issue. My plan is to move the pair back into their own tank and then treat the main tank exactly they way we are talking about. I'll let you know of any successes or failures...

Real Name
    Jake

I'll take a look at the sump, but everything in there has worked out so far. Water comes down overflow into a filter sock, water moves over bio-media, which is in the same chamber as the two heaters, then through one final piece of "sponge". I forget the actual name of it, but it's black and more like stiff plastic filament that was extruded into a block shape. From there, it's through the return pump back to the aquarium. The sump gets vacuumed every month, in case debris finds its way past the filter sock. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I'll keep an eye on the other 4, but 2 are preoccupied with their current clutch and the other two are just hanging out. They all come to the front every time I go to check on them (they would eat 10x/day if I let them). So far, they all look normal.

I've never heard of adult discus getting beat up that bad either. There is breeding activity, and there are confirmed pairs so it's a possibility that they're wanting their own space. The two in the hospital were spawning every 10 days for awhile and then the female switched mates (maybe the male got depressed?).

I'm keeping an eye out and checking on the hospital tank every 20 minutes or so just to see if there's any change to them. Luckily I am working from home for the forseeable future due to COVID-19, so I've got even more time to spend with them. Perhaps I'll start trying to talk the wife into another tank if it turns out to be bullying due to spawning.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    I've never heard of adult discus getting beat up that bad either. There is breeding activity, and there are confirmed pairs so it's a possibility that they're wanting their own space. The two in the hospital were spawning every 10 days for awhile and then the female switched mates (maybe the male got depressed?).
    Or maybe he lost the battle? Once stressed, fish can easily go into shock.

Real Name
    Jake

Quite possibly. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks so much for your help Brian.

Real Name
    Jake

Well, the male lost the battle this morning.

He was headstanding this morning about an hour ago and breathing slowly. Went to check on him just recent and he's no longer breathing.

Female will remain in the hospital tank until I know she's recovered. Still continuing salt with temps at 88F

Real Name
    Shan

Damnit im so sorry
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Brian

I was really not expecting to hear this, especially this fast. I re-read your first post and I don't see anything you're doing wrong. Is the female showing the exact same symptoms?

If this were water related, I'd think the issue would be more wide spread although I would increase the water changes.

My only thought at this point is the possibility of something being trapped between the rocks, driftwood and sand. But again, I would think it would be more wide spread.

Has the female changed at all?

Real Name
    Jake

I wasn't expecting it either.

The female started exhibiting the same symptoms yesterday morning - sitting in the same corner that the male was in and was very dark. She is currently in the hospital tank as well, getting the salt treatment just to be 100% sure. Currently, she seems to be doing okay - doesn't look like there are issues with swimming properly. Breathing is a little labored, but not sure whether it's due to an issue I'm not seeing or just the stress of being moved and now being alone in the hospital tank.

I concur, if it was water related, I would have expected everyone to be showing something. The remaining four in the tank are still acting normal - eating like pigs, swimming normally, always begging for food at the front of the tank when I walk up. What would you suggest as water change frequency? Currently doing daily 40% changes on the main tank, and 75% changes on the hospital tank.

I am very particular about cleaning the aquarium - before the water change starts (I use a small water pump to pump water faster than a siphon), I use a siphon with the tube to clean the entire substrate as well as vacuuming the wood and rocks. Crevices look to be clear at this time. Nothing is stuck under the wood, as there's no space under it (all wood sits on the substrate without anywhere to swim under). I would hate to stress the remaining four out, but I'm willing to remove the wood and rocks if it comes down to it.

Female seems to be okay apart from not eating. But I suspect it's just because she's alone and was recently moved. Should there be concern she's not eating?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jake, sorry to hear about the male. Do you have any Furan 2? I have had domestics in a similar condition as yours and on a gut reaction I used Furan 2 and salt and the fish quickly recovered. I would suggest a large WC before using it if you have it. I did discuss this with Brian.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

Hi Pat,

I currently do not have any Furan-2. I have pure metro from Jehmco, Kanamycin (KanaPlex from Seachem), and PraziPro. Not sure where I can purchase Furan 2. Amazon has it, but it'll take more than a few days and I'm afraid I might end up losing the female in that time frame.

Real Name
    Brian

I didn't see that you had increase water changes to 40% daily. This should be more than adequate since the tank is not over stocked.

When you saw it head standing, was it truly head standing or just pointing down and out of balance?

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Pat,

I currently do not have any Furan-2. I have pure metro from Jehmco, Kanamycin (KanaPlex from Seachem), and PraziPro. Not sure where I can purchase Furan 2. Amazon has it, but it'll take more than a few days and I'm afraid I might end up losing the female in that time frame.
    Hi Jake, I guess we can try it. I have only used pure Kanamycin however.
    Pat

Real Name
    Jake

Hi Brian,

I suspect that it was just pointing down out of balance. It was struggling to swim properly (i.e. twirling around due currents and the like). Which I suspected was a swim bladder issue because he couldn't swim upright. Swim bladder is usually caused by either constipation and/or a bacterial issue, but they've all been regular (dark, nearly black feces).

Real Name
    Jake

Hi Pat,

Do you recommend going ahead and trying to dose with Kanamycin? I'm going to call around to a few pet stores to see if they carry Furan-2 before doing so.

Looks like a local store carries Furan-2. Would you prefer that over Kanamycin/Kanaplex?
    Last edited by AquaticNerd; 03-19-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Pat,

Do you recommend going ahead and trying to dose with Kanamycin? I'm going to call around to a few pet stores to see if they carry Furan-2 before doing so.

Looks like a local store carries Furan-2. Would you prefer that over Kanamycin/Kanaplex?
    Hi Jake, if you do not find the Furan 2, I would go with Kanamycin (if you can find it). Kanaplex would be the third option.
    Pat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast