ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Isolation/distancing

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Social Isolation/distancing

I know it's difficult, but the less we can make this thread political, and more about how we are all coping, I think the better.
    Not really pointing at Tom's post, just being a bit proactive.

Dr Fouche saw it coming and that it was a bad 'un. But all that is in the past. I do agree that the federal government, including the President, is doing their best now.

It makes me happy because I can buy beer and the supermarket but they don't have the higher end beers. The beer store supplies my nicotine addiction better than the supermarket. If the liquor store weren't essential I would have to do with out my nightly coffee and brandy coctail that peps me up at WC time and mellows me out afterward. I would be better off without using all those products, put I prefer not to do what is best for me. I think it's a good idea to cover your face when you go out in public places. Doing ANYTHING that might help with transmission is you are not symptomatic, not from getting it. I may be stupid, but I'm not afraid of boxes from Amazon nor mail.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

My favorite beer is Sierra Nevada Celebration. It's only available November and December. Call me a beer hoarder if you want but I bought 5 cases of the stuff back in November, so I'm sitting pretty good right now

My favorite is less classy than yours, Brian. Its an IPI from a brewery called Goose Island. It's available year round. The best beer I have ever had was when I visited Chicago Discus two NADA ago. It was a lager called Bourbon Barrel Lager. It had a wonderful flavor but there it no way I can get it where I live.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I stopped drinking beer about a year ago. Until then it was Corona most of the time. I read yesterday on the CNN Coronavirus up to the minute updates that Mondelo stopped brewing Corona this week. I therefore went to the local market and purchased a 12 pack of long necks. The market had a truck load piled in the beer and wine section. I am going to keep it until 6 months when it is all gone from the store's inventory and they drink it when it becomes rare like some of those 100 year old bottles of French wine. Hehe.

Saw a lady today get knocked down because she had TP stuck to heel of shoe. I would have laughed... but I was the one knocking her down... amazing how far 4 squares can go
    -Elliot

Can't you just wipe your arse with a paper towel, or were you making a joke? I just don't get this obsession that people have with TP.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Actually we had fair warning, between SARS and MERS and H1N1 we all knew it was just a matter of time. In some ways this is just another warning. Imagine this infectivity with a SARS mortality rate of 10%. If as suspected 20-50% of the COVID cases are asymptomatic and will not be identified until an antibody test is in widespread use then this will have a final mortality rate of < 1%.

Bad as we have done here and I agree there are numerous examples of where we could have improved, we have done quite well on a relative basis, and maybe even on an absolute basis, given the complexity imposed by the sheer number of patients. I also wonder if all of the hypercritical finger pointing in both directions isn't in some ways self-fulfilling in that it erodes everyone's confidence in our leadership. Some heads probably do need to roll and in the fullness of time after the crisis is adequately managed hopefully will, but right now it seems that rhetorically you are either perfect or you have the blood of thousands on your hands......and since no one is perfect, the inevitable conclusion seems to be that everyone is dangerously incompetent

Real Name
    Mervin

This disease like a boogie man. You keep going out continuously and not staying home you will finally run into him. He'll hunt you down, will catch you, infect you and may harm you or your loved ones, even kill you or them. Bottom line stay home. Keep a 6 foot distance whether you like it or not. That's the way it is and the whole world is in this one together. The worst thing we can do right now is to make war over supplies and keep that flowing. Which is beginning to happen now. Here they decided to keep the cannabis and liquor stores open; it would have created a new problem with mental health and the addiction concerns. I still see some younger folks thinking this is a joke. Hope it don't come down to each one of us having to carry a 6' club, to protect our own bubble.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    My favorite is less classy than yours, Brian. Its an IPI from a brewery called Goose Island. It's available year round. The best beer I have ever had was when I visited Chicago Discus two NADA ago. It was a lager called Bourbon Barrel Lager. It had a wonderful flavor but there it no way I can get it where I live.
    Even though I do like craft beers, I'm stingy so I mainly drink the watered down Bud and Coors, but I splurge in November of each year. I've had Goose Island and I like it!

Hope it don't come down to each one of us having to carry a 6' club, to protect our own bubble.
    Has anyone seen the videos from several countries that have the police out beating the crap out of people with 6' clubs? I guess that's one way to get their point across...

At least they're not shooting them dead.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Unless you're in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Can't you just wipe your arse with a paper towel, or were you making a joke? I just don't get this obsession that people have with TP.
    . Just a joke. I still think it's weird though that TP of all things would be the mass paranoia buy. I'm actually looking fwd to running out so I have an excuse to take the hand held shower attachment to spray myself off... my wife isn't excited about that though! Ha!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

I just had a customer ask if I would have fish he wanted in 2 weeks .Often people have all sorts of reasons for waiting like preparing or going out of town.
    This one said they won't have 1 day off until 2 weeks from now .They added the work in toilet paper manufacturing facility and are doing double shifts with the plant operating round the clock !
    Who would have thought ? My wife of course said I should try to trade fish or ask for payment in TP but I have to imagine that type of joke/request is getting old for him about now ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Yesterday I learned that an employee at one of our branch offices tested positive for Coronavirus. All workers at that office were ordered home for 14 days. A sanitation crew was brought in for a '"deep clean". Staff was brought in from other branch offices to staff the office for 14 days while the original staff was out of service. I thought that I would not want to be on the relief crew in case the sanitation effort did not work out.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast