AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Isolation/distancing

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Social Isolation/distancing

I agree, especially now we're finding temp is not the big tell take sign or symptom. There is SO much going on that makes no sense at all...

Morons. These people must have some science background. If she's a carrier how many sick people she would infect! I'm just a normal person, not a scientist, but even I know that is beyond stupidity. If she were independently wealthy she could tell them what I would in her situation (not suitable for Simply) and walk out. But she can't. She has to make a living. How is it that nurses and teachers who are so indescribable are paid the least? I just don't get it.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 03-31-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Liz. We found out today our health system is mandating us to work 3 extra shifts and go to every other weekend with out any additional compensation above our normal hourly rate. They even took away a 3 shift bonus contract and replaced it with this straight time mandate. Unbelievable. So we're being made to come work more in the danger zone and not even make the additional bonus money that we were offered for a 3 shift contract before the poop hit the fan. The fall out after this is over is gonna leave hospital systems nationwide short staffed...

Real Name
    Adam Giles

The news coming out of New York is heart wrenching. So many people suffering. We have a shelter in place order here but it seems many jobs are considered essential. I own a tile installation business and all construction is considered essential so we are working. I am In a position to stay home but my guys need a paycheck so until they tell us to stay home we are working, we are social distancing. Going straight to the job site and and straight home. Trying to work on jobs whete there are few others or even no others.

With 600 cases state wide at this point I am certain that as this grows we will be told to stay home and to be honest, I am looking forward to that. Stay safe everyone. Dan, I appreciate all you are doing!

Real Name
    Tom

Well it took till Friday to stop construction here. I don’t get it. If it’s not for building hospitals it should stop. It’s no joke! We stoped fri and today I was notified of 3 deaths from one shop in my union. Just sad they kept these guys working. I was on furlough till this past mon. Being on 14 day qt from my son I couldn’t go back but it didn’t matter the job I was going to shut down from corona. What did they do? They transferred the guys to other jobs! No common sense! Just glad I’m home and still well.

Danny, when all this is over, get a group together and see if you can find a lawyer who will take on the case pro bono. Document every thing between now and then. You already know I feel strongly about this. It's dishonest, and moral wrong for them to take such advantage of those who put their lives most at risk.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Liz. I will keep track of everything work related. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it's an option for sure.
    I really appreciate everyone's well wishes here! In addition to our fish frenzied minds, I feel more connected here than ever! Thanks everyone

Registered Member

Here in Belgium, all has to stay home, except the the jobs we can't go without
    like healthcare, food and transport.
    we all have to stay in our home / garden or can take small walks in out streets and 1 person of the family can go to get food
    bars and restaurants are closed
    lets hope they find a vaccin soon

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Thanks Liz. We found out today our health system is mandating us to work 3 extra shifts and go to every other weekend with out any additional compensation above our normal hourly rate. They even took away a 3 shift bonus contract and replaced it with this straight time mandate. Unbelievable. So we're being made to come work more in the danger zone and not even make the additional bonus money that we were offered for a 3 shift contract before the poop hit the fan. The fall out after this is over is gonna leave hospital systems nationwide short staffed...
    That's not right at all. You should get paid for extra work, especially at times like this. PPE is warm under it. You should receiver over time pay.. What kind of contract is that and what union signed it. Thanks for volunteering. Again thanks for being a real trooper. But I feel your leaders are taking advantage of "you health care workers", good will. The ones who have been tested negative weeks ago are in all likely hood some of them being positive now but they aren't dong testing on that population again. So testing is not really working, it just shows what population it is in. Isolation is slowing it down until a vaccine or a build up in population immunity, but that means it will be a long, long time before this is over. Here we have shortage of PPE; enough left for about another week. Supply lines for everything else is in jeopardy. I think before this is over you'll see longer food lines and soup kitchens waiting for handouts. Not sure just how long the banks can keep handing out millions. All over the world people are not working.

Real Name
    Tom

God Bless You again today Dan.
    The news here even said if our healthcare workers don't have symptoms they should report to work regardless of possible exposure .
    That sounded even dumber then asking retired people to return ..Desperate people and times ask for desperate things .
    I some how feel the need to apologize for our society ? We are all a small part of the problem and solution ..Lets turn this around ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Merv & Tom.
    Merv we are not a union hospital so we don't have representation with regards to decisions made that affect us...there is no negotiating, just "this what we're doing now". I get it in part, there needs to be safe numbers to care for the increased number of critically afflicted. I should clarify that once we go over 40 hours/week we will get paid at our usual OT rate, but the old contract was the OT plus an extra lump sum of $1050 for 3 extra shifts paid at the end of the 6 week schedule.
    I have had co-workers bawling the locker room, afraid, moving out from their homes to protect their spouse and kids/parents from exposure. I honestly have a peace from God about His protection in this "fiery furnace" and I pray for my co-workers and administrators every day for peace, clarity and wisdom. I don't know how I would be managing of it weren't for the peace that surpasses understanding.
    I appreciate the kindness and support of the people in the forum. Thank you thank you thank you!

Real Name
    Brian

Well, this is all new to everyone and a lot of companies are just winging it. I have faith that they will make it all right in the end. If not, you'll have accomplished something to be proud of!

On a better note, a friend works for Costco and they've been really crazy busy. Yesterday Costco informed every employee that they will be receiving a retroactive $2 per hour raise until this subsides, as well as extra PTO, free food and other perks. Good for Costco!

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words Liz. I have always enjoyed your company at the shows and I can't wait to see you again! I was referring to my past fish. I don't have any tanks and this next stage of life doesn't look like there will be any. Maybe you can send me some pictures of what you are working with? You always had something exciting going!
    Kraig

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Come Discus View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Liz. I have always enjoyed your company at the shows and I can't wait to see you again! I was referring to my past fish. I don't have any tanks and this next stage of life doesn't look like there will be any. Maybe you can send me some pictures of what you are working with? You always had something exciting going!
    I'll PM you Kraig. I'm so whupped from working today that right now I just don't have the energy. I've always liked you too.
    Mama Bear

The Governor just shut down Mississippi until April 20th. We're not as bad as other States, but I'm glad he did it. I feel sorry for the mom and pop shops that struggle as it is, like my LPS. I called them at 4 this afternoon but there was no answer which was weird+. I'll drive to Hattiesburg tomorrow and ask if there's any way I can help them. If nothing else, I'd like to still be able to give them my chickens eggs. They have 4 boys who eat all the time. Twee has been so sick for so long that they agreed to test her. She's negative, thank God.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 04-01-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    Mama Bear

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast