ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Isolation/distancing

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Social Isolation/distancing

Traeger brand smokers are popular around here.

Real Name
    Brian

They also make electric smokers. They take out all the guess work. I know people who really like them!

Real Name
    Steve

Only smoking (meat) I've done is with the tube full of chips on my grill. Works for my needs. My son has done some smoking and I do enjoy the results usually.

Real Name
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I used to be in competition smoking a while back and I've tried several different ones. My favorite budget smoker is this one from HD. I think it was $159 on their Spring black Friday sale each year. If you get the cover for it, it will last for years. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...1624/206282463
    Saving money to buy this bad *** grill...F58D439B-6A0E-4F40-AB8F-362CBAE3D049.jpeg...... https://bbqpitboys.com/santa-maria-grills/
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Willie

On the bright side, the tanks are much cleaner now that I'm working from home.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

Went down town last evening for a drive. All bars and restaurants were closed. Closing the cannabis and liquor stores today. Going to be long and dry few months. Even worse for me cause I'm single and can't even mingle. Hope we all survive this thing.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Went down town last evening for a drive. All bars and restaurants were closed. Closing the cannabis and liquor stores today. Going to be long and dry few months. Even worse for me cause I'm single and can't even mingle. Hope we all survive this thing.
    CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010. I'd suggest that when the US reaches and then exceeds those statistics with regard to the Coronavirus then maybe begin your concern? At this point, although it is wise to nip this in the bud, the hysteria and present reaction to may be unwarranted. Almost six million people die from tobacco use and 2.5 million from harmful use of alcohol each year worldwide, the World Health Organization (WHO) reports.

Registered Member

I am simply astounded when laypeople disagree with scientific experts

The percentages of deaths is more important than the number of deaths. That's why the great concern over this one.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am personally annoyed with the college students here on Florida beaches enjoying spring break and some do not give a rats butt about getting it or giving it to others.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The percentages of deaths is more important than the number of deaths. That's why the great concern over this one.
    Yes, I think it's about double what I've read for the flu. Not everyone probably understands the growth curve either. This situation is a perfect example of exponential growth, or "multiplies like rabbits" as I usually say in my math classes. On top of that, symptoms don't present themselves immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I am personally annoyed with the college students here on Florida beaches enjoying spring break and some do not give a rats butt about getting it or giving it to others.
    Pat
    Yes, it is kind of selfish, or at least ignorant. They may not get it bad themselves, but can transmit it to many others.

My Spring term class just became 100% online for the whole term.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010. I'd suggest that when the US reaches and then exceeds those statistics with regard to the Coronavirus then maybe begin your concern? At this point, although it is wise to nip this in the bud, the hysteria and present reaction to may be unwarranted. Almost six million people die from tobacco use and 2.5 million from harmful use of alcohol each year worldwide, the World Health Organization (WHO) reports.
    I have worked in close quarters with many life threatening contagious diseases. The only illnesses that I've caught throughout the years were indeed air borne. Flues cold type illnesses. The only way to slow this down is to isolate as much as possible. We don't want too many people dying at the same time our systems just can't handle the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Pat
    I know. They don't think about the safety of their mothers and grandmothers. I hate so see them have to go a time of tragedy in their own homes to their own loved ones to learn this lesson. It's the sad part of being young and feeling invincible
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Though I just graduated a couple of years ago, I can attest to the stupidity of my generation.

Sorry guys lol
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

It's not just your generation, Shan. We were all young and stupid once. Even us old farts.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast