AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Isolation/distancing

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Social Isolation/distancing

A lot of us were working to pay for tuition, so spring break was never even a consideration.

Boy, do I sound old now!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Liz
    You might want to look into Traeger pellets smoker. I bought one last year, I forget the model, for 600$.
    Fantastic. Computer controlled temp and pellet feed and can be used for smoking or grilling.
    In fact St. Patricks day I smoke a cured corn beef brisket for about 10 hrs. Best I've ever had.
    And yesterday, smoked a pork belly I cured for 9 days for bacon.
    Stay safe, this thing will pass.
    Jay

If I could buy an expensive one I would. For me $200. is expensive but I'm gonna do it because I've wanted one for a long time. I have to wait until after the dentist next week and get my bills caught up before I splurge. I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/Weber-711001-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 03-19-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Those Weber bullet smokers are awesome. I use one for smoking chicken and turkey because those meats require more water vapor. For regular meats I prefer the off-set fire box.

I've read that some people who smoke meats put no water at all in the water pan. I'll have to experiment.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I don't use water for beef and pork. I've found water makes brisket very chewy and pork has so much fat it's not really needed. I've gotten away from traditional bbq style smoking for ribs...I marinate for a day or two with a Cajun dry rub and finish off with a Caribbean Jerk mop. Very tasty!!!

Thanks. Once I'm ready I'm going to ask you to post recipes in the recipes forum.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Well here in NY being on a roof has become one of the safest places suddenly ! Talk about unforeseen and ironic !
    Most everything that has not been closed or limited soon will be I suspect . Between myself and the other three guys I work with we add up to 225+ years old [being modest !] so I don't I need to explain how we feel hopefully.
    Generally speaking roofers aren't the smartest but it seems all have legit concern which I believe is valid and nice to see .
    Our 24 hour supermarkets are now closing at night for disinfection [supposedly] and attempts at re stocking ..We have probably closed more businesses then any other state ? We have the most cases then any other state today .
    I am shocked with all the advice and school/gathering closures that public buses are rolling around more on time then ever ..I would walk 50 miles before getting on one ! Not for my own fear but for concern of how this will impact others ..
    I have never had the flu in my life or a flu shot and have not seen a doctor since I was 40 for a check up [15 years ago] .But I feel true concern and wish everyone could just get on board doing something they are asked for others if it causes them no harm .. I am not a 'church going person' but am praying for everyone .
    I feel most of the 'misbehavior' is just people who feel they have no other way to deal with this crisis..The common man can not make this better so 'hoarding' as it is may be all they feel they can do to safeguard their way of life..I am not defending them and I did not say I pray for good things for all. I am NY and blind faith is no better then none at all but hope and faith may be all some have , or need. I am sure most will get through this but my heart goes out to those effected..
    I am not doing anything special myself but if not for the internet and forums like this I would be considered hermit or myth by most I believe ..I am not a social butterfly nor do I really value the opinion of those I don't respect . It's still a simple life for me but I know others are dealing with hardships..
    Up North here we would not only take the gun from man in store over the diapers but advocate the use of it on him ! Zero tolerance for civil disobedience should be where we start not where we end up if it comes to it IMO .
    My county went from 15 cases yesterday to over 500 today ! One has to realize the test are just arriving so the numbers are bound to grow but I will hope you all are safe .
    Of all the things that seem in short supply the greatest missing item IMO is common sense ..I guess you can't buy it though so....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Brian

A bit of good news... The hyper-panic seems to have calmed here, at least for the short term. I went to the store for my usual 4 items and found the shelves mostly stocked and zero lines. People were just doing regular shopping... In and out in 10 minutes

But then again, maybe the hoarders are completely stocked, lol...
    qt.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It's the one time we can save the world by laying in our undies in front of the TV day after day...c'mon people, let's not mess this up!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 03-19-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What are the folks in everyone's country doing about this virus thing? What about people in different areas of the States? What about you yourself. I'll start.

I know that we've had 2 reported cases in my county. I noticed when I had to go to Hattiesburg this morning that there wasn't much traffic and the stores that I had to go to were empty of customers.

As far as what I do, I don't have much contact with people other than a few friends, and we talk out of doors or on the phone. I like people mostly, but I've always loved a solitary life. That's lucky right now because I'm an old person. I don't bathe or wash my hands any more often. I'll go to my little supermarket in my little bitty town tomorrow. It's in a county with no reported cases. I don't need toilet paper. It will be interesting to see if it's been sold out. I hope people there aren't going crazy and buying out everything in the store.
    These sure are crazy times Liz. Like Dan mentioned the biggest problem here in Australia is being caused by people panic buying and emptying shelves at our stores. It started of with toilet paper, but has extended into hygiene products and food. Small businesses are taking a big beating with loss of customers. Everybody is taking the necessary measures to reduce contact with others. Our fishing club has cancelled all social events and meetings until the dust settles.

I like the thought of being able to go catch a feed of fish whenever i want.

I dont usually shop, as my wife usually takes good care of that department, but i did stand in line to enter or local Costco store today, as we were running low on essential items.....45 minutes later and i was all set.

Stay well everybody...hopefully this madness ends sooner than later.

90446390_10157697294235266_1690009707592286208_o.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I reckon if everyone just calms down a bit, stays smart, and adheres to the wise boundaries our leaders are proposing that this too will pass, just as SARS & H1N1 did...I'm not saying people should be overly casual, and especially not ridiculously foolish like the new Corona challenge that sprung up on social media...just stay calm, protect yourself, think of others, and wait it out...
    Couldn't agree more. Hysteria is worse than the virus itself. It's what's making it scarier and deadlier.

Real Name
    Willie

Then there is this...

Virus Challenge(K6y6BEum2v7).png
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Liz,

I have a Weber smokey mountain and you won't be disappointed they're awesome. I can use it in the cold and wind and it still holds its temperature. It's very consistent once you figure it out you'll have no problem getting to and holding your temp.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

My pups woke me up at 6am needing to go outside. I was standing on the front pooch as they were doing their business and I noticed how quiet it was. I could hear the night bugs but no car or plane noise. Heard a owl in the distance...so delightful.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast