AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Isolation/distancing

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Social Isolation/distancing

Yes Pat it is nice to see less activity, the traffic load here is similar to what you would expect to see on Sunday here in Central Kentucky.
    I am taking this very seriously, however as I found out last Monday it isn't enough. I ceased all operations for my construction company that would require more than one guy. That guy is me. First time in 24 years I haven't had a crew and boy does it feel good not to have to juggle mainly pill heads around every week. I was to install a couple storm doors for a 92 year old retired physician. I ended up going to three supply houses to get everything I needed for her project. I tried to keep six feet from everyone but they just come right at you. I came in contact with at least 12 people less than the recommended 6 feet. I made it clear to the builder and the retired doctor that I wanted to stay 6 feet apart and then here she comes with her 120 pound German Shepard. Some how the dog got it's leash caught between the handrail and the post of her deck and her hand was being pinched. It took a great deal of effort and a lot of very close contact to get them freed. So I am confident no one is safe from this.

I now know what discus felt like in my hatchery!
    Kraig

Hey Kraig! It always makes me feel good when I see you pop in here. I'd love to see pics of the Discus you're breeding. Why not start a thread and post some pics?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

In times like this there's even a bit of humor to keep us smiling. A little something from Nova Scotia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYk8dY2xrNo

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    In times like this there's even a bit of humor to keep us smiling. A little something from Nova Scotia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYk8dY2xrNo
    and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qvO0StKto

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Says it's not available in my country.

Real Name
    Tom

If you want to laugh search George Carlin /Germs. Be warned his language is why I just don't post it here ,but he is funny as all get out !
    So either I was wrong or the news but there are only 18 cases in my county not 500 ? Eitherway I was not wrong about what was going to happen .NYS is on lockdown with only essential works allowed to work after tomorrow at 8pm until further notice ..
    I have been told I am essential ! Just when you want to hang out in the fish room they decide they need you ? I hate to doom myself but suspect they will revise who is essential in another week when we top the 20,000 infected in just NY !
    we were 7k+ yesterday and the computer says 10k+ today .Just in NY . Cuomo says we [NY] are testing more people then any country is or has ..That should be concerning enough to get the slackers attention I hope .
    Happier then ever to be upstate and need no reminder why I don't like the city ..Too many people too close ...
    It is going to be real rough here for everyone soon I fear..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

I'm lucky, too. Extremely lucky for an old person who's not 100% even though I'm not immuno compromised, my lungs ain't what they once were. My freezer is full of food. I will go to the feed store Monday and stock up big time. I have lots of projects to get done. Since I don't need a lot of human contact in the best of times, I don't feel lonely.

Tom, up on the roof is a pretty good place to be if you are "essential". I've been surprised that I got 2 customers this week! I guess they trust me. I'm still going to go to my LPS on Monday and take them the blue shrimp that they asked for and some magenta mystery shrimp that they can't get enough of. I need to take Twee some eggs, too. I have heard that eggs, like bread and TP have become hard to find. They have 4 boys to feed!

Nobody knows what the future will bring but the evidence points to it getting worse before it starts to get better.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Our local park has a bunny scupture...

Virus Bunny.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Willie, those trees I see in the background are those the trees that are always sick? Elm trees, I think? Would metro help them do you think?

Registered Member

On the world travel scene 6800 flights in the air around the world 3/22, 39% fewer total flights compared to last month at the same time and 43% fewer compared to 1 year ago. India has banned all incoming international passenger flights for a week starting 3/22. From Emirates Airline, "Today we made the decision to temporarily suspend all passenger flights by 25 March 2020. SkyCargo operations will continue. This painful but pragmatic move will help Emirates Group preserve business viability and secure jobs worldwide, avoiding cuts."

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Willie, those trees I see in the background are those the trees that are always sick? Elm trees, I think? Would metro help them do you think?
    Very impressive eyesight. The large trees in the background are indeed elms. Dutch elm disease has wreaked havoc in Minneapolis. Fortunately, there are closely related elms, including a giant one in my backyard, which appear to be resistant.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Difference a few days makes. Covid-19 is spreading through Sonora Mexico now. My mountain pueblo is pretty locked down (no schools, restaurants, church, gyms, hotels, sports, airplanes... no tourists permitted), they are even considering a curfew this week. A roadblock is setup on the road into town warning all to use masks and keep separate from people.

Saturday the company I work with announced immediate cessation of production at the majority of it's manufacturing plants in Canada, USA & Mexico..., every plant I work with is shutdown.

We keep hearing rumors the US border will be closed too...

So, things are changing daily. and with all of that taken into consideration, we made the decision to leave Mexico Monday morning at 8AM. Crossed into the USA at Downtown Nogales AZ at 4:30pm.

We were given no instructions. We weren't asked any questions. Border security personnel were not wearing masks, nor gloves. In fact, I was told to remove my mask (which I did... but I put it back on quickly because I figured those officers are contacting ALLOT of people all day long.).

We are renting a small casita in South Tucson for 7 days, maintaining a self-quarantine (as we still have renters left in our house for another week)... and then next Wednesday, we will return to our own home again in Green Valley. Woohoo. Seems odd to add the extra step/expense of renting a place in Tucson for 7 days instead of just waiting for our own home to become vacated again on April 1... However, we just didn't want to get stuck South of the Border in real panic were to set in... Things are changing daily and we thought it would be foolish to do nothing for 10 days.... risking being trapped...

Fun stuff. Anyway, counting down the days to being back in my house and setting up my fish tanks again!!!!
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 03-25-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Thanks for the self QT, Peter. I hear that lots of folks are leaving NY city. I bet you a nickle they won't self QT. I know NYC type. That said, everyone is an individual so I'm bad to make a blanket statement.

I live in a county with only one positive test. I'm a bit of a recluse as it is but sometimes I miss just going down the road to the dollar store or up the road to the Supermarket. But I have everything I need so I stay inside. I even cancelled my appt at the dentist so I get to go around gap toothed until the domestic situation calms down. I don't need anything right now. I don't want to get it from anyone and I don't want to give it to anyone if I do get it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Stay safe everyone, keep yourself hydrated and sanitize well.

Real Name
    Mervin

I did my doctors appt. over the phone yesterday. I've been saying home for a week or so now. Isolation does seem to be working here. Just travelers coming home positive and their bump ins, 61 so far. Not in the general population yet here in Nova Scotia. We'll know in a few days. Our health care was bulging at the seams even before all this.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast